Why Multiple Treatments of Fraxel Repair ?

I plan to come over to LA from Bangkok before the year end to have the Fraxel Repair procedure on my face. I therefore do not want to make multiple visits, only a one time procedure which I assume means a high setting to get maximum benefit. However, I am aware of people who appear to have had multiple treatments of the Repair procedure and I am curious why this would be given it is advertised as a one time treatment.

Can you give me your thoughts on this? Also, assuming I did have the "industrial strength" procedure how long would I take to heal to the point of looking like I had, say, sunburn and could return home and to work?

Welcome to Los Angeles Fraxel re:pair

+2

Hi JB,

It depends on what you are having treated. If you are having Fraxel re:pair for skin rejuvenation and mild pigmentation (sun damage), then one treatment is usually all you need. If you are having acne scars treated, we advise our patients that it may take 2 to 3 treatments for excellent results.

Some patients and physicians do not want to risk long downtime and side effects by treating too aggressively. These cases will have a less aggressive treatment twice, usually separated by 3 to 6 months. Other cases may not have had realistic expectations before the first treatment, and desire more improvement. Fortunately, a second treatment gives an additive benefit to the first procedure.

In your case, if your skin type and color warranted, I would treat you as aggressively as possible in one treatment. If you did receive the "industrial strength" treatment it would be about 7 to 10 days before you looked like you had sunburn and could return home to work.

When performed properly, Fraxel re:pair is very effective for both men and women. I hope to see you in Los Angeles. Be well and have a safe trip to the States.

Dr. P

In my practice, only one treatment is necessary, but it all depends on how aggressive of a treatment

+2

In the end, it all comes down to how aggressively the treatment is done, but also in the end it all depends on how good of a candidate you are. I can say that in my practice I find that most patients who *think* they are great candidates for it aren't. It takes a very special candidate to make this a success and if you aren't a good candidate, you are just throwing your money away and will be unhappy.

This is one of the problems in today's society where the internet makes patients more involved in the initial aspect before the consultation and has them exposed to many varying degrees of good information prior to their consult. One other thing is that if you are a male, in general I find that Fraxel re:pair isn't very helpful due to problems getting the right results on male skin.

Again, it is going to come down to how ethical your surgeon is. If you want the procedure and have the money, there is a good bet that it will be done whether you need it or not. On the other hand, if you are a good candidate it might work out great. Good luck on this.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Fraxel Repair is Different for Everyone

+1

It really depends on what areas you need to great treated and the extent it needs to be done. The more aggressive the treatment, the more downtime you would need for healing. But for instance, acne scar treatments typically need more than one session whereas mild pigmentation only requires one. So it really depends on you as an individual. Fraxel repair is often not indicated for Asian skin. And certainly aggressive treatment in Asian skin would be contraindicated, because of the higher chance of abnormal pigmentation. Darker complexions, the Fraxel suit of lasers has the Restore 1550 and the recently added Thulium superficial peeling mode that can be used safely. However, with these treatments, multiple sessions would be required.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon