Liposuction Prices

motivated to get lipo on my stomach roll(s). when i look at doctors websites on real self i can't find any information about their liposuction prices. why won't more doctors give information about cosmetic surgery  costs ? is it a secret they want to keep? curious.

The price of Liposuction

+4

Liposuction is a body contouring surgery that requires not only an artist's eye, but also the insight to determine which patients are likely to benefit from the procedure, and which specific areas of a patient's body are appropriate for liposuction. When artfully and appropriately applied, liposuction can produce dramatic contour improvements. As with all plastic surgery, the goal should be to produce a natural contour.

Some liposuction patients that I treat seek a 'total body makeover', and undergo circumferential liposuction of the trunk, thighs and lower legs. The soft tissue contraction and resulting contour enhancement that is achieved by circumferential liposuction of a given area can be truly amazing. At the same time, I am increasingly seeing patients who come in for what I refer to as 'finesse' or 'refinement' liposuction, where very fit individuals seek refinement of specific areas that they feel are resistant to further improvement with diet and exercise.

To achieve ideal results, the skin tone overlying the area to be suctioned must have adequate tone in order to 'snap back' and redrape in a manner that is aesthetically pleasing. Areas with significant skin excess or redundancy generally require some manner of skin excision in addition to the reduction in the volume of subcutaneous fat by means of liposuction.

It is important to understand that liposuction is not designed to be a weight loss surgery, but rather a body contouring procedure. Patients undergoing liposuction ideally need to be at or near their goal for their long-term weight, and their weight needs to have been stable for several months.

Some physicians price liposuction "per area" I certainly understand the convenience of this approach, but think of several people you know who might be interested in abdominal liposuction. Some people might require very minimal toning of the area below the belly button, others are concerned about their "muffin tops" still others might benefit from a circumferencial liposuction procedure all arournd the front, sides and back to provide the desired result. These are just a few examples of people interested in liposuction. Therefore, unless I elect to perform "cookie cutter" surgery and perform the same surgery on each patients is it virtually impossible to set pricing without first seeing a patient.

Liposuction, as you may have heard in the popular media, is the most commonly performed surgical procedure each year in the United States. Here's a statistic that you may not have heard: the majority of physicians performing liposuction in the United States are not plastic surgeons; in fact, many do not have any formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many physicians performing liposuction have had no more training in liposuction than a 'weekend course'. One way to determine whether or not a physician has had appropriate training in a particular surgery is to confirm that they have hospital privileges for that procedure. I would n ot be surproised to learn that these physicans will have klower prices and perhaps set prices for surgery.

I fear that some practitioners view liposuction as a 'simple' surgery, since it does not involve making large incisions, and it requires little, if any, suturing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Liposuction, in my mind, is a very challenging operation that requires careful planning and preparation, and a great deal of care and finesse when it is actually performed. It requires a three-dimensional understanding of the layers of human anatomy, an understanding that is second nature to a surgeon alone. I think that it is often an inadequate understanding of anatomy (and, perhaps, of the body's response to surgery) which leads to the poor results in liposuction and body contouring that unfortunately are so often seen.

I understand your frusytration but please keep in mind that surgeons who need to see YOU before giving a price truly have your best interest in mind.

Best of luck in your search.

Michael Law

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction prices: The Best results usually are more expensive

+4

Liposuction costs vary so much depending on the patient's size, the amount of work needed, the number of areas etc... As a rule in liposuction, the more you pay the better the results since an artist surgeon is going to really sculpt the areas better and spend more time with you. Most lipo surgeons can only do 1 per day (maybe 2) but if he tells you he does 3-4 a day then his staff maybe doing a lot of the work and he just pops in at the end to do any fine tuneing.

You pay a lot less in those cases. The tumescent technique with microcanulas are more expensive and take a longer time with more work for the doc but gives you that superior result and is sooooooooo worth it. The only area where you can get a sort of price quoted over the phone is the jawline/neck. That area doesn't vary a lot from patient to patient.

It usually runs $2500 for the lipo and $750 for the op room. Most body lipos run roughly $6-8,000 per surgery. Anything less may not give you the quality you want.

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction pricing: $4500 per area

+4

This is a good question. The price of liposuction is based on many factors. People come in many shapes and sizes. Likewise, the amount of liposuction and technique will vary among different people.

Factors to consider when evaluating the price of liposuction:

Do you have to be turned over during the surgery? If you want liposuction on your back side and your front side, you will need to be turned during surgery. Just the turning process takes about a half hour in the operating room. This adds considerably to the cost of surgery since you have to pay for the operating room time.

How much volume are you having suctioned? Liposuction takes time - especially for a surgeon who is careful about technique. Using smaller cannulas leads to smoother results. However, it takes longer to suck the same volume through a small cannula versus a large cannula. So, once again, you are paying for a longer procedure, but receiving superior results.

Which areas are you having suctioned? Just as the back to front adds time and cost to the procedure, different areas require different positioning. This takes time and energy during the procedure and adds to the cost. Just a word of caution... the best price is not always the best choice when considering cosmetic surgery. Be careful, because you may only get what you pay for.

On average, the operating room costs are about $1500 per hour and the liposuction costs are about $3000 per area. For me the average liposuction case takes between 1 to 3 hours and most people have 1 to 3 areas suctioned.

David Shafer, MD

One Liposuction cost does not fit all

+3

This sounds like a simple question, but it is not. One cost does not fit all patients, and the only way to learn the true cost is after an in-person consultation. The cost of liposuction is not published online because there are so many factors involved, and they depend on your physical exam by the doctor. The more time and work involved, the more it will cost.

Most plastic surgeons will ask you to come in for a consultation before you get a price quote. The first reason for this is to see if you are even a good candidate for liposuction. If you are a good candidate, he or she needs to plan out how long your surgery will take, because that determines how much you will have to pay for anesthesia and the operating room fees.

How long it takes is based on a number of factors such as the experience of your surgeon, how many areas are being liposuctioned, if you need to be turned over during surgery (takes time to do it safely), what type of liposuction is being done, what size cannulas will give you best result, etc.

As you can see, asking a surgeon to guess all of those things over the phone without any information is meaningless.

Word of caution- Be careful when you hear ads for discount liposuction or discount cosmetic surgery. You may simply get what you pay for, but you may also end up with problems created by your discount surgeon, and then have to pay real prices to have it fixed! Research your doctor, and find a board certified plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with.

Anita Patel, MD

Liposuction cost

+2
There are many factors that determine the price you will be given for your liposuction.  The size and weight of the patient, number of areas to be suctioned and the size of the area, as well as the location of the area.  Prices will also vary depending on the area of the country and the experience of the provider.

Liposuction of the abdomen and flanks will generally run 4,000.00-5,000.00 dollars. Some physicians may charge more, some less.  The most important thing is to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you trust who has performed hundreds of liposuction procedures. Ask to see as many before/after photos as possible and be sure you are comfortable with the surgeon.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction pricing

+2

Prices in plastic surgery are always dependent on the individual as no two surgeries are the same and therefore prices vary.  In the question "how much is liposuction?", the answer would vary based on the amount of liposuction and the number of areas.  At my practice we give a very specific price quote to the individual after the initial consultation.  I think this is a good forum to get general ballpark numbers but realize that they are only ball parks.  Finally what is included in the price?  I would lump all the major categories into the price.  This includes surgeons fees, OR facility fees, anesthesia fees, garments, special insurance, pre and post op care.

Liposuction runs between 3,500-7,000 with increasing cost based on increasing areas to be treated and amount of fat to be removed.

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery Liposuction Costs

+2

The fees for plastic surgery vary based on a number of factors including the geographical location, the exact type of liposuction, the anesthesia options, and the areas of concern. Each surgeon will have a specific way of dividing the body in terms of treatment and fees. Your best option is to visit an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Upon consultation and examination your physician will be able to recommend the type of liposuction and anesthesia to best address your concerns. It should also be noted that time is a factor when discussing fees. Our bodies are different, it may take one hour to Liposuction an abdomen on patient "A" and 2 hours to Liposuction on patient :B". Time is generally reflected in the facility and anesthesia fees. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction prices: $6000 to $9000

+2

Hi.

In Manhattan, the total cost of liposuction of the abdomen would be between $6000 and $9000. This includes surgical fee, one year of post operative follow-up, ACCREDITED operating room and recovery room, and BOARD CERTIFIED anesthesiologist. The cost can be quite a bit less elsewhere in the country.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction prices vary significantly between regions.

+2

Most plastic surgeons do not publish their prices on their websites. They want you to call so there can be an initial contact, not just searches. Liposuction costs vary from $1500 per area to over $4000 per area. Our charge is approximately $2200 for abdominal liposuction and $1700 for our surgery center and anesthesia. This is quite competitive for Chicago. Not uncommonly, a patient may also need a mini-tummy tuck or associated procedure, which will add to the cost.

All offices will give you a ball park dollar amount by phone, but will reserve the final price until your consultation. It is the only fair way to deal with each patient individually.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD

Lipo priced from $3K to 4,500 per body region

+2

Liposuction is not a straight forward cost like a breast augmentation is. There are many variables, such as the area(s) that you are getting treated, the results desired (as desired results are not always achievable by liposuction alone), whether it can be done under local or general anesthesia and the doctor's training.

For my patients, an individual area of liposuction can range between $3000 and $4500. Any additional areas are discounted for scheduling together. Any surgeon's office should be able to give you at least a general idea when you call but many refrain from posting online as most procedures vary by their factors.

Good luck with your research.

Joseph Thomas Cruise, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon