Why is ArteFill Still Being Advertised Even Though They're out of Business?

I see that Artefill is still being advertised all over LA, but I thought they went out of business months ago. Are people just trying to use up leftovers or what?

Artefill back on market

+2

Artefill was purchased by Suneva Medical, a privately held medical technology company in San Diego, Ca earlier this year and the product is back on the market. The original owner of the technology, Artes Medical, was a victim of the economy. Artefill was then temporarily out of production, but has since been relaunched and is back in many dermatology offices.

Artefill is the only FDA approved filler of it's type and is, for all practical purposes, a permanent filler that contains nondegradable polymer microspheres. The carrier, bovine collagen, breaks down, but the tiny beads do not. Thus Artefill is typically only encouraged for use by experienced filler patients who know how fillers have changed their appearance.

When used in the indicated areas, Artefill is a viable alternative to temporary fillers which typically break down over the course of 6 to 9 months.

Artefill is not indicated for use in the lips or in surface lines or wrinkles. Because of its permanency, I will often use a graduated approach and layer the product in several sessions over time to achieve a final desired correction.

Artefill requires pretesting because of the small potential sensitivity to bovine collagen gel used to suspend the beads for injection.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Physicians are drawing down their stock of ArteFill.

+1

You're correct that the company is no longer in business. But since the product is still FDA-approved, physicians can still offer their existing supply to patients.

Eventually, of course, that existing stock will be depleted and that'll be the end of its availability. That is unless another biotech concern resurrects the company or the manufacturing.

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon