Location of Tummy Tuck Drainage Tubes

Where are the drain tubes exit point in a tummy tuck? Do they go through the incision or are other incisions made on the belly?

Tummy Tuck Drain Location

The drain position is not that important. Just in case there is a widened scar most surgeons place it in the hair bearing portion of the mons so as to be less noticeable.

Surgeos do both, best to ask your surgeon

Many surgeons use two drains for tummy tucks.  Years ago, I found that by preserving some of the tissue on the abdominal wall, the risk of fluid accumulation (seroma) is greatly reduced.  I only use one drain.  I prefer to have this drain exit the wound in the right pubic portion so there is no additional scar.  However, many surgeons use a separate drain hole.  The scar is usually low down within the bikini area and not exposed.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Where do the drains come out after a tummy tuck?

Some surgeon have the drains come out the sides of the tummy tuck incision while other prefer to have it come out below your incision through a small hole in the pubic area.  This incision, if made, is very discrete after it heals.  

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Where do the drains go?

i favor bringing the drains out through the ends of the incision, however, small wounds can be made in relatively inconspicuous areas to allow the drain to not interfere with healing. I don't think it's a big issue either way. if you feel strongly discuss it with your surgeon, they will probably be happy to accomodate you with this detail.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon