I am looking into having a "breast lift" What is the least invasive/most appropriate procedure for me w/out implants? (photo)

I am 26, no children (but plan to eventually), 132 lbs, 5'5''. My breast volume has gone down significantly. The skin around my breasts have loss elasticity and appear much saggier then anyone my age with no children. I want my confidence back in my breast area. I am very on the fence about having an implant, and would prefer not to. But if having a breast implant would mean less scarring, less cutting with the same results, then I would consider saline.

Breast Lift Techniques

+2

The goal of most breast lifting procedures is to move the nipple position up to the center of the breast and to adjust the shape of the breast to move it to a more youthful position. Many times natural asymmetry exists where one breast has a different shape, size, or nipple position. The secondary goal of breast lifting is to improve the natural asymmetries and to make the breasts look more alike knowing that perfect symmetry is probably not achievable.

There are many techniques for lifting the breast depending on the severity of the ptosis or breast drooping and deflation. All of them address the low nipple position. Some of them are more aggressive in reshaping the breast and removing excess skin. They can range from placement of a simple breast implant (breast augmentation or enhancement) for mild deformities, to "limited scar" techniques for moderate deformities, to longer scar techniques for those women needing the most correction. With these techniques, scars can range from almost unnoticeable to an anchor shaped scar around the nipple, down from the nipple to the breast fold, and under the breast fold. Your surgeon will discuss which technique is best for you. Most women are happy to trade a well planned, well healed scar for a more youthful, full, and uplifted breast. As stated, some women are good candidates for "limited scar" or "short scar" techniques that can eliminate one or more of the scars.

Another option to consider:

A dual plane technique is appropriate for women who have a slight amount of sagging or drooping, but not enough to justify a full breast lift. Breast augmentation surgery with this technique also “lifts” the nipple into a higher, more attractive position, as the implant settles into its final position in the weeks after surgery.

The advantages of the dual plane breast augmentation surgery include:

Decreased risk of capsular contracture - due to the submuscular position of the implants

More natural appearance

One small, inconspicuous exterior incision

More natural movement as you walk

In a breast augmentation surgery performed with the dual plane technique, we’re able to use both a sub-glandular and sub-muscular implant location. The upper part of the implant is sub-muscular, meaning it is placed in a pocket underneath the chest muscle, while the lower part of the implant is covered only by your breast tissue.

The implant is placed after a small incision is made along the base of the breast.

In short, a dual plane technique is perfect for women who have a mild amount of breast drooping and who are looking for a breast augmentation surgery that gives them the higher, more attractive position of a breast lift without the resulting extensive scars associated with a lifting procedure. Like other forms of breast augmentation surgery, a dual plane procedure is safe and provides aesthetically pleasing results

Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

A Lift With Minimal Scarring

+1
Thanks for your question. There's no need to pursue implants if you're already satisfied with the size of your breasts. A breast lift will raise your breasts to a perkier position and situate your nipples at the center of your breasts instead of the bottom. During a breast lift, a surgeon can also reposition fat and breast tissue to create a more youthful look without increasing your cup size. The best way to determine which incision would be best for you is by scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with breast surgery. A periareolar incision generally creates the least noticeable scar, but you'll need to undergo a physical exam to determine whether it would be appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Several options for breast enhancement, depending upon your individual preferences

+1
what you need most is an inperson consultation with an experienced surgeon who will listen to your desires and come up with the best options based on your individual exam. you could then choose amongst those possibilities. I usually see someone like you at least twice before any surgery goes forward.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

Great question - this is a question for which you will get four answers from four surgeons. All answers will be correct but the best answer will be determined after a consult. My advice would be to undergo a vertical mastopexy with a lollipop scar. I would not place an implant unless you really wanted upper pole fullness. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are several different types of breast lift procedures. I have found in patients with a similar history, a more aggressive lift to obtain the shape that you desire results in better patient satisfaction than a less aggressive lift that results in inadequate correction of your primary complaint.

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Castle Rock Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Operation for Me?

+1

Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your best first step. Careful measurements and careful communication of your goals will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Preferably, see/speak to previous patients as well.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to Make recommendations as to what operation will best serve to achieve your goals.

For some patients the necessity of scars associated with breast lifting is a “dealbreaker” ; for these patients it is better to avoid breast surgery altogether.

On the other hand, many patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry.

Also, make sure that you time the breast operation with consideration to life circumstances, such as planned pregnancy; many patients require additional surgery to improve the aesthetic appearance of the breasts after completing pregnancies.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Least Invasive Breast Lift

+1

Due to the fact your breasts have lost volume from your weight loss, you certainly need an implant to give fullness to the upper pole ( saline would be fine if your desire ). A lift alone would not give you the appearance you are trying to achieve. It would basically just move your nipple areolar complex higher. If you wish to minimize the surgical scars you could just do a periareolar lift. This will tighten the tissues a bit and raise the NAC. If you are trying to achieve a really perky appearance then a vertical component would be necessary. In breast lift surgery there is always a give and take to obtain the best result possible from the least amount of incisions.

The case linked below is similar to your own - would be interested to hear if the result is what you had in mind or a bit too full/perky.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

I am looking into having a "breast lift" What is the least invasive/most appropriate procedure for me w/out implants?

+1

The least invasive breast lift procedure in your case would be a circum-areolar lift with internal suspension

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

A circumareolar lift with an implant would give you the best results.

+1

HI revamp765c. You have a considerable degress of volume loss above your areola, as well as ptosis. In my opinion you would have the best enhancement of your breast shape with an implant and a circumareolar breast lift. A lift without an implant may also give you an improvement if your breast tissue is plicated, but I don't think you will have as good of a result. I suggest you see a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Good luck!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon