What is White Substance after Breast Augmentation? Am I Healing Correctly?

I had breast augmentation four weeks ago. At 10 days I noticed I had drainage on my left incision point. I took off the bandage and saw a small opening and white stuff. I returned to the doctor 3 weeks after this and he said it was tissue and prescribed me augmentin. He then removed the tissue. Approximately 3-4 days later the substance came back. I'm now on drumtrin b.s and was told to apply neosporn daily. What are the chances of healing at this point? Why is this happening? Any suggestions

Wound Problem after Breast Augmentation

+2

The "white stuff" that you are seeing is likely something called fibrinous tissue.  It is a combination of healing tissue, connecting tissue, and sloughing cells.  If the area has no other signs of infection (redness, pain, pus discharge), I would not worry too much about it.  Your doctor likely put you on Augmentin to prevent any infection, rather than treating one.  Wash the area twice daily with soap and water (any antibacterial soap will be fine).  I would not use the nesporin for more than 5 days as it can cause irritation to the area and make it look worse.  Just use a moisturizer like Curel and keep it clean.  It will heal with proper care.  If any of the above signs of infection start, then you need to see your doctor back ASAP as you do not want any infection to progress.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Healing post breast augmentation

+1

During this time of your recovery, it sounds like you are experiencing some wound healing issues. It is in your best interest for you to follow all post-op instructions from your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure the best results possible. Make sure to watch for any signs of infection, including, fever, chills, abnormal swelling, or redness. Consult with your surgeon to address any further issues or concerns. Take care!

Drainage on Incision Point

+1

Sometimes the incision festers or reacts to a stitch and therefore opens.  It usually heals unless unless there is a connection from the drain to the implant. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

It is difficult without a photo and an exam.   The white "stuff" could be necrotic tissue.  If there is not redness, or any signs of infection, then close follow-up and debridement will take care of it.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Wound healing and breast augmentation.

+1

Without a clinical exam and photos, it is difficult to give you an accurate answer. When a wound has difficulty healing, it is not uncommon to see white or yellowish drainage and "slough." This slough is usually a combination of protein and debris from the wound. Breakdown can occur from a tight closure, fluid underneath the incision, or a lack of blood supply to the skin edges. If accompanied by redness, pain, or foul drainage, an infection is likely. Treatment for this is typically a cleaning (debridement) of the wound to remove the dead tissue and either dressing changes or a closure with sutures. Although this is not common with breast augmentation, it can happen. The antibiotics often are prophylactic given the implant which is located a short distance from the incision.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Draining wound after breast augmentation

+1

Any opening of the incision after breast augmentation should be of concern as this gives a potential opening for an infection to involve the implant.  Close follow up with your surgeon is mandatory so the situation can be followed and a serious problem, ie infection, avoided.  It sounds like you are being treated with antibiotics and wound care is being done.  Be sure to visit your surgeon frequently until full resolution of this problem.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Drainage after Breast Augmentation

+1

Difficult to say without pictures.  If you are having white discharge after breast augmentation then the first thing to consider is infection.  It sounds like your surgeon has and the antibiotics where not has helpful. You may need to have this discharge analyzed to see what type of bacteria are present if any.  Continue to follow up with your surgeon so that this situation is closely monitored.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Open incision after breast augmentation may be a problem.

+1

You noticed drainage from your incision 10 days after surgery, but did not see your doctor until 3 weeks after surgery. What happened during this time? Did your incision continue to drain for 11 more days until you returned for recheck?

I am always concerned that if a breast augmentation incision drains fluid out, then bacteria can use this tract to "get in." If the fluid tract actually communicates with the implant pocket, then the implant can become contaminated or infected. In my experience, no amount or strength of antibiotics can "cure" an infected implant (including referral to infectious disease specialists and IV antibiotics.) If this is the case, every plastic surgeon is forced to "bite the bullet" and tell their patient that the implant has to come out, the contamination or infection be resolved, and the scar tissue allowed to soften and heal before replacing the implant. This can take weeks or even months. NOW you know why it is such a hard thing for your surgeon to admit there may be a (serious) problem here.

On the other hand, a simple drop or two of drainage from an incision that heals slowly or incompletely as the sutures dissolve may easily and prudently be treated with antibiotics, this should resolve it promptly. The fact that you are online asking about something that is now 4 weeks and counting is concerning.

Side note: do not use Neosporin--it contains Neomycin, which causes allergic reactions in 10% of individuals who apply it on a continuing basis. This can cause skin breakdown and continued weeping. Use careful cleansing with soap and water, and if you must apply anything, use Bacitracin. Good luck.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant issue

+1

Without an exam it i s hard to tell. Sounds like you have some delayed healing and you are on antibiotics for the problem.

White tissue coming from breast implant infection

+1

It sounds as if your surgeon is concerned about exposed and possibly dead tissue as well as preventing infection of the implant. It is otherwise impossibtle to tell online.