White Bumps Under Eyes

I have little bumps that look like little white dots underneth my eye almost looks like chicken skin. Can you tell me what may cause these or what may cure them?

Normal Oil Glands in Tear Trough

+3

This is a common question patients have for the areas under the eyes.  Your picture was excellent, so thank you for providing it.  If you take notice of the arrangement of these bumps, that can provide you with a clue to their regularity and healthy and normal nature.  They are called sebaceous glands (aka oil glands).  As the skin in the tear trough area stretches with age, the thin skin in this area can drape over these glands in a way where they appear to stick out.  This is normal, and everyone has them.  How noticeable they are vaires from person to person.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Oil glands

+2

yes, these are normal sebaceous glands- great photo-

really no treatment would be advised- risk would outweigh benefits

E. Victor Ross, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Syringomas

+2

These small bumps appear to be syringomas. This is caused by a proliferatin of the ducts of the sweat glands ( eccrine to be precise) around the eyes. For unknown reasons syringomas are more frequent in females, and in patients with Dopwn's syndrome. If you ask me, they seem to be more frequent in Philipinos, ( I practice in area with a high Philipino population), but I have not read this in the literature.

They usually come on after puberty and the cause is probably genetic. Beneath the eyes is the most common site for these curious little bumps, but they can occur pretty much everywhere. The sudden outbreak of syringomas, aptly named eruptive syrinogmas usually occurs in darker complected people.

There are three  basic treatments for syringomas: lasers, surgery  and electrocautery. Despite what you might come across on the net, and believe me the hawksters are out there, creams will not work. The lesions are too deep in the dermis.

The CO2 laser is often successful. This needs local anesthetic. It may take multiple visits. There is a chance of permanent scarring.

Many dermatologists and plastic surgeons prefer electrocautery. This tends to be more precise and usually gives a superior cosmetic outcome. Small scabs will appear but heal quite quickly.

Of course, syringomas can be cut out with simple sugery. If you are older and would like a blephorplasty, this might be an option that "kills two birds with one stone."

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Treatment of oil glands and syringomas on the lower eyelids

+1

These bumps are variants of oil glands and are sometimes classified as syringomas if they are larger.  Fractional co2 laser and hyfrecation can work well to treat the white bumps. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS