Post-rhinoplasty Scarring - Will the White Area on my Nose Go Away?

About 2 years ago i had a rhinoplasty but a small bump appeared during the healing process. 1 year later i had a revisional rhinoplasty to remove this, but now i have a white patch on the front of my bridge, when i feel this area the front of the bridge is very sharp, i think the white patch is because the skin around that area of the nose is too tight, will it go away? if not what can i do about it? thank you Chris

White area on nose

+1

This white area may represent thin skin over a cartilage graft or over your natural bridge - either way it will likely not go away - soft tissue grafts placed at revision will help 'pad' your skin and hopefully prevent this

Scarring Post Rhinoplasty

+1

I doubt the" white area" is secondary to scarring but is due to thin skin or pressure on the skin from underlying cartilage. Avoid skin trauma from blunt  force or sunburn while waiting for normal healing  before trimming the cartilage if necessary and placing a soft  tissue graft, such as fascia, under the skin.

Sometimes tthe skin of the nose thins out after rhinoplasty

+1

Thin skin can get even thinner after rhinoplasty. this is called "shrink-wrapping" Part may be due to actual shrinkage of the skin, part from the skin being damaged from underneath and sometimes from cartilage, bone or implants sicking into the skin. The nose should be allowed to settle for a year. If the white areas of thin skin persist they can be corrected with grafts of crushed cartilage, AlloDerm or the patients own fascia.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD