White and Red Gum After Zoom Whitening/Still Vivid Red After 9 Days

I received zoom whitening in office and after the procedure was finished I noticed my bottom gum was white, the dental assistant assured me the white would go away and then turn red and after 48 hours my gums should be back to pink. Here I am going on 9 days and I still have this bright red appearance on my bottom left gum. Does this mean that there is permanent damage to my gum and will I need to see a specialist? Can someone please be brutally honest as to the worst case scenario. Thank You.

Red Gums After Zoom

+1

While it's normal for gums to be red for a day or two after whitening, persistent redness could be a sign of a burn or even nerve damage. Though Zoom is widely regarded as a safe treatment, the outcome depends on the dentist's skill and the preparation process used. I would advise you to call the dentist's office where you had this done and ask them to examine your gums or have a periodontist (gum specialist) examine the area if the redness persists. Your general dentist can refer you to a periodontist for a second opionion.

Take care,
Dr. Aurasteh

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Gum Still Red 9 Days After Zoom

+1

I suggest you have your dentist look at it to diagnose any possible periodontal (gum) disease.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist