While Taking out my Sutures (I Had BA Crease Inscison) a Bit Retracted Inside and Remains in Me. This Ok?

hi i got my sutures out at 3 weeks following my surgeons advice, i had a BA with 375cc implants, and crease inscion, i went to my GP to get my sutures removed and on one side when we went to remove the suture (blue. vicyl, non dissolving) a little bit retreacted in my wound and he couldnt remove it, so it remains in side me. The GP spoke to a surgeon and he said its fine, and to leave it, it maight try and work its way out of my body or it might just stay inside me, will this be OK or not?

Sutures left after breast augmentation

+2

If the suture was a vicryl suture, then it will resorb in time. If it was a blue prolene suture, it will likely work its way to the surface in time. Either way, it should not be a big issue. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sutures Remain In Tissue After Breast Augmentation

+1

Hi,

Vicryl sutures gets dissolved by the body and you do not to worry about them.

A permanent dyed suture (blue) will not be broken down by the body and so it can either remain where it is or it will be rejected and pushed out of the body as a non-self.

It is important that you keep an eye on that suture during your healing as you do not want it to get infected. Your PS should be kept in the loop of your recovery process.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Suture Issue after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I do not think that you have much to worry about. If the suture was a dissolvable suture,  then it should no longer be an issue. If it was a permanent suture,  the body has a way of pushing out this type of “foreign body”.

Vicryl suture retained

+1

Vicryl sutures dissolve over time.  It is unlikely that it will cause a serious problem long term.  Good luck.

Retained suture will likely cause no problems

+1

Thank you for the questin.

A vicryl suture is dissolving and will resorb over the next 4 weeks and not be an issue.

A blue non-dissolving suture is likely a proline.  They a usually not a problem but will not dissolve.  If it is visable after the incision fully settles, your surgeon can make a small nick with a needle and local, expose the sutue and remove it with a forcep.  takes about a minute.  This will not be necessary if it is not visable and does not cause any issues for you.  Most do not.

Enjoy how well your clothing fits and your new self-confidence.  All the best.  Dr. Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC. Barr Plastic Surgery.  

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Retained suture after breast augmentation

+1

Hi there,

Fortunately, it won't be a problem at all, good news.  It will dissolve over a few weeks.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Retained Suture Not Likely To Cause Problem

+1

The suture you describe is unlikely to become problematic.  First of all, if it is Vicryl it is a dissolvable suture.  Even if not, your body will probably "push it out" over time.

John Whitt, MD

Suture remains after breast augmentation.

+1

Vicryl is an absorbable suture. This means that it most patients, it will dissolve with time.

A dyed non-absorbable suture will be present permanently. If a small tail of permanent suture remains beneath the surface, your surgeon is correct. It will either remain inertly within the tissue or slowly be extruded (work its way out).

Keep an eye on the healing scars, and of course, get back to your surgeon to have the breasts and healing incisions examined...

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Retained Breast Augmentation Suture

+1

Vircryl is a dissolving suture. The body will slowly break it down and it does not need to be removed.

I am slightly puzzled however why the Plastic surgeon would not remove his own stitches when they should have been removed to obtain the best possible scar for his patients.