How Can I Avoid the Need for Plastic Surgery?
- Asked 6 years ago
How to delay the appearance of aging?
Basic things to Delay the Appearance of Aging
1. Avoid sun exposure. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied throughout the day when in the sun. Even on a cloudy day, you should use sunscreen, which does not totally block the harmful aging effect of the suns’ rays. Hats and long sleeve clothing provide additional protection
2. Don't smoke. Smoking accelerates aging
3. See an appropriately trained aesthetician who can help you individualize a Skin Care program for your particular needs. The answer is not found in one product.
4. Have routine facials
5. Use adequate moisturizers especially in dry climates
6. Retin-A or similar products improve the appearance of the skin, but the dosage and frequency need to be individualized
7. Watch your weight and exercise regularly, but not excessively. Extreme diets and significant fluctuation in weight gain/loss leads to laxity of the tissues and accentuates the appearance of aging
8. Eat a balance diet high in antioxidants and fresh vegetables and fruits.
9. Avoid foods high in sodium
10. Stay adequately hydrated with sufficient water intake
11. Avoid excessive intake of alcohol
12. Avoid recreational drugs
13. Get a reasonable amount of sleep
14. Live a healthy lifestyle and try to avoid ongoing stress.
Non- invasive and minimally –invasive treatments beyond the basics:
1. Light peels performed by an appropriately trained aesthetician
2. Dysport or Botox on an ongoing basis when wrinkles start appearing in the forehead and around the eyes, before they become deep
3. Fillers like Restylane, Perlane Juvederm, which are made of hyaluronic acid, the building block of your tissue, for temporary improvement of early hollows or wrinkles of the cheeks and around the lips
4. Micro-fat grafts for longer lasting correction of loss of volume in the central face, around the eyes and temple areas.
When the above no longer correct the problem:
1. Minimal incision procedures focused primarily on the area of aging, since all areas don’t age to the same extent at the same time
2. These include a variety of options: Lateral brow lifts, endoscopic forehead procedures, mid-face or limited incision cheek lifts, neck lifts, limited eyelid lifts
3. When aging has progressed to a level that minimal procedures are not enough, then it is time for a facelift. Up to this time the various promises of non-surgical skin tightening treatments have not reliably lived up to the marketing and promotion beyond the temporary benefit from the swelling that occurs with any irritation to the tissue.
What you cannot do:
Choose the right parents, since much of aging is based on genetics.
Web reference: http://rsingermd.com
Avoiding facial plastic surgery
In San Francisco we develop programs that are individualized for each patient so they can each attain the best results using non-surgical techniques. Visia skin analysis is first performed and a protocol designed. Pre-rejuvenation skin preparation is done incorporating microdermabrasion, deep cleaning facial, bio-therapeutic, and more. The cornerstone of treatment is the Titan laser which tightens skin and stimulates collagen formation. Other lasers are judiciously added to further enhance the results. Botox and injectables are used as needed. Patients use home care products to maintain. Results of this type of combination therapy are excellent.
Pre-emptive strike against a facelift with lasers, fillers and Botox
On a recent Today Show, the Fraxel re:pair laser was spotlighted during its release at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting in San Antonio, TX. With this treatment, combined with facial soft tissue fillers, such as Radiesse, Restylane, and Juvederm, as well as Botox, non-surgical facial rejuvenation will keep a large percentage of patients from feeling the need to undergo the "knife."
Intense pulsed light treatments incorporating...
Intense pulsed light treatments incorporating photodynamic therapy with a chemical sensitizer (Levulan) improves skin color, redness, smooths neck, and reduce wrinkles.
Combining this with Botox and next generation volumetric fillers can make the skin look 10 years younger.