Which Product Do I Use for Vertical Lines? Botox or Restylane?

I have two sort of deep vertical lines right between my eye brows. Which procedure would be better, botox or restylane. Or should one have both procedures on the same site? I am not sure if you can see the vertical line on my picture. I am the one on the right. Thanks.

Botox for corrugator muscle lines

Thanks for providing the photo to help our answers. I think the active muscle lines between the eyebrows (corrugator muscle lines) would be ideal for Botox. In fact, that is the area for which the parent company obtained FDA approval for the marketing of Botox. Many of the initial studies were done for that area.

If you did not achieve satisfactory improvement after 2 treatments and 6-8 months time, you might add a filler in addition to Botox. I would not suggest filler alone. Good luck. I think you'll look great.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Restylane

Botox stops the movement of the muscles causing your frown.  Restylane fills in the depressions.  You can have both the same day and if you keep up with regular Botox injections, your Restylane may last for years.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox first for glabellar frown lines

These are the corrugator muscles - when they contract, they form what we call 'glabellar frown lines', these vertical lines of wrinkles. The thing to do is to relax these muscles with Botox. Start there and see what it looks like before you pay for any fillers. Good luck. It should cost somewhere between 250-400 dollars depending on how prominent these muscles are in your case.

Botox or Restylane for Glabellar Lines?

Botox is very effective for lines between the eyebrows. As a neuromodulator it works directly on the nerves that innervate the corrugator and procerus muscles of the glabella region (i.e., the vertical and horizontal lines that form between the eye brows).

Thank you for your question. The general algorithm is that Botox is effective in the “upper ⅓” of the face: forehead lines, crow’s feet, and lines between the eyebrows. These lines are “dynamic” lines, caused by underlying muscle contractions. By relaxing the associated muscles, Botox smoothens the upper ⅓ of the face. “Static” lines in the lower face, such as the nasolabial folds, are amenable to facial filler.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes. Dr. Shah

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox versus Restylane for vertical lines

I usually suggest my patients try Botox in this area first, since Botox usually provides good results.  Fillers also have a role in filling deep furrows between the eyebrows but I usually reserve them for patients who want additional improvement after trying Botox.  

Botox is great

If your wrinkles are only there when you make a facial expression, like frowning, then Botox would be good. If the wrinkles are there permanently, even when your face is neutral then restylane would do the trick. Some deeper creases can be treated with both. Either way, make sure you do the Botox first.

Vertical lines on forehead requires Botox or Dysport first

Vertical lines on forehead are due to combination of dynamic and static wrinkles. I would consider Botox or Dysport first for dynamic lines which are caused by involuntary muscle contraction then followed by judicious placement of filler if necessary for the static lines due to loss of volume in affected area.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox/Dysport and Restylane/Juvederm can be a great combo!

For the vertical frown lines between the eyebrows, the combination of Botox AND filler can work better together than either alone. The Botox works to weaken the muscles creating the wrinkle, and the filler works to immediately lift and smooth the line that would otherwise take months and months and months to smooth out just with Botox alone preventing creasing.

If the line is mild, and your budget has limits (whose doesn't?), it's a good plan to try the Botox first and see after a round or two if the line is smooth enough. If not, then add filler.

Starting with filler alone is an option (especially for someone nervous about Botox) but it's important to know that the gel filler will physically lift the line but NOT stop the muscles from continuing to try to crease that skin, ultimately leading to a deeper line and the need for more filler sooner than if Botox were there too.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Frown lines and treatment

For the vertical glabellar lines or frown lines I usually start off with Botox. If they are very etched in, I will add a filler after I see the affects of the Botox.