Which Procedure Would Be Best for Me, Smart Lipo or a Tummy Tuck?

I am a 22yr. female. I have had 2 c-sections and have also had 3 major surgeries on my spine from fracturing it. During the first procedure on my spine they had to go in through my lower ab. in the same way as a c-section so I have had a total of 3 incisions.

I have been struggling with losing the weight since I had the surgeries on my spine. I am only 5'2" and weigh 146 lbs. I have been able to lose quite a bit from my last pregnancy but now I also have the problem of saggy skin over the top of my pants.

Would Smart Lipo be best for me or a tummy tuck? Also, would having something done effect me in the future from having one more child?

If you have sagging skin, then liposuction is not for you

+2

To get right to the point, if you have sagging skin, then liposuction is not for you. Liposuction is good for removing volume (fat). Abdominoplasty is good for removing fat and skin. From what you describe, Abdominoplasty is the best option for you. You already have an incision which 1) makes liposuction more dangerous and 2) can be extended to perform the abdominoplasty. However, liposuction can be combined with your abdominoplasty to give you more shape on your flanks. (This liposuction would presumably be in an area with no previous incision, so it would not present the same dangers as mentioned above).

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

Smart Lipo or Tummy Tuck...?

+1

If you have had two c-sections, have lower abdominal scarring and are left with sagging skin, then a tummy tuck would be the best procedure for you.  Smart Lipo is ideal for patients with areas that have minimal to moderate fat that can be dissolved. A Tummy Tuck is best for patients with loose skin above and below the umbilicus and abdominal muscles that can be tightened. 

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo or a Tummy Tuck

+1

2 C-sections (meaning your abdominal muscles have been stretched out twice), trans abdominal spine surgery ? fusion (abdominal muscles crossed to work on the spine) and loose skin - ALL of these would be MUCH better handled with a properly done Abdominoplasty (Tummy tuck).

While SmartLipo would cook the fat / nerves and blood vessels under the skin trying to shrink the skin, even in the BEST of circumstances, it can NEVER repair the stretched out muscles of the abdomen nor tighten the skin to anything close to what a Tummy Tuck can.

Tummy Tuck is the answer.