Which Medications Could Interfere with Recovery After a Tummy Tuck?

Are there any medications that would interfere with my recovery after a tummy tuck? I'm just wondering if I need to temporarily stop using my prescriptions to do this. Also, will drinking alcohol affect my recovery?

Medications before surgery

+1

In general, patients should avoid blood thinners such as aspirin and certainly teel your doctor about any herbal medications you take. Your surgeon should give you a list of do's and don'ts.

Medications and post-op

+1

You should review all your medications that you are taking with your doctor.  In general, I tell patientsw to avoid alcohol post-op because often patients are given pain meds and they may potentiate the effects.

Medications that could interefere with cosmetic surgery of tummy

+1

This is not a simple answer and most plastic surgeons will provide you with a list of medications to avoid as well as review the current medications you are currently on and advise you regarding cessation or discontinuation around your surgical date.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Medications to avoid after a tummy tuck

+1

After a tummy tuck, patients must pay close attention to the recovery process. Patients should avoid blood centers such as aspirin and herbal medications. A tight compression garment will also assist the patient and recovering from such a procedure. The compression garment will help reduce the amount and limit the amount of discomfort. On our website, we have a full list of medications that patients should avoid before and after their surgery. You are welcome to the website and download a copy for yourself.         

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

Review your meds and any supplements with your surgeon a couple weeks prior

+1

There are numerous medications that may interact with anesthesia and complicate your recovery. Most surgical practices will give you a lengthy list of medications and supplements to avoid. You should bring a list of the medications you are taking to your surgeon. Some medications or supplements that effect bleeding need to be stopped or modified weeks prior to surgery.

You should also inform your surgeon of any herbs or over the counter medications you take.

There are numerous medications that affect surgery

+1

There are numerous medications that affect surgery, from the more abvious ones which affect your ability to clot (like aspirin), to medications that can have dangerous interactions with the meds we use for anesthesia. You should go over this carefully with your surgeon. also, be aware of ant over the counter meds and herbal medications you are taking as these can have deleterious effects as well.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.