Home Teeth Whitening Remedies

can a dentist help me find a tooth whitening product for home use. I know that some teeth whitners are considered too abrasive and damaging of the tooth enamel.

Strips are OK

+1

I don't think strip usage is much of a concern. Soft and flexible trays that most dentists make for patients allow the majority of the gel to escape (our office fabricates rigid trays to avoid this). The exposure with THIS is of a higher concentration than OTC products, and no reports of permanent damage have ever been recorded (tissue irritation is not unusual). Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) simply breaks down to Oxygen (O2) and water (H2O).

I suggest people give OTC products a try. I have been surprised with some results people have achieved with it, so it DOES work (but one must follow the directions precisely). If someone is seeking whitER and not the whitEST their teeth can get, OTC products are a small investment and could be worth it.

By far the safest, most effective and longest lasting process is performed by a dentist. A combination of in-office and take home products is the best method and can have dramatic results.

Products distributed by a dentist will not harm teeth (while products purchased online are simply unknown). Any effects to the enamel (from products distributed by a dentist) are reversible or so superficial that routine cleanings will remove the damaged enamel.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

2 types of at-home bleaching kits

+1

There are two types of at-home bleaching kits. The best is the tray whitening systems given to you by your dentist. The dentist will make a custom fitted, flexible, comfortable tray. These are designed to fit close to the teeth so they stay in place but are made from a soft, flexible material that is very comfortable; many people don’t even know the tray is in place. We take care to make sure there are no sharp or rough edges that might irritate the gums and cheeks. The gel the dentist dispenses is specifically designed for teeth whitening.

It comes in different flavors and, more importantly, in different concentrations so that you use a gel that is comfortable to your mouth and minimizes sensitivity. I have patients that can only tolerate the lowest level of concentration; other patients are comfortable with higher concentrations.

I do not recommend non-tray at-home whitening systems like strips or cotton applicators as they expose the mouth directly with peroxide gel while the tray systems generally keep the material confined to the teeth.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist