Which Hair Style Will Best Cover Thinning Hair?

I am over 60 and have thinning hair. I'd like a hair style that will make the most of my hair without showing the thnning too much. What would you suggest? long/short or layered?

Thinning Hair

+1

I am not a hair stylist, but short hair always looks thicker. There are some hair products, such as conditioners that coat the hair shafts, making it look more dense.

See a hair replacement surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for hair transplants or flaps such as the Fleming-Mayer flap which we developed many years ago. Products such as Propecia are somtimes helpful if you want to avoid surgery.

Many options to increase hair density

+1

Louis,

Several medications can improve the thickness of your hair, including oral finasteride (Propecia) and topical minoxidil (Rogaine). They are both safe and very effective in increasing the caliber of your hair and increasing the time it spends in the actively growing phase.
Some other products can be applied directly to the scalp to help increase the appearance of density. Toppik, X-fusion, and Joan Rivers' "Great Hair Day" can all be applied as a camouflage to the scalp to increase the look of fullness. Just remember that they won't GROW hair, just change how it looks.

And, if you are still not happy you may want to consider hair transplantation. If you are not on blood thinners, don't smoke, and have sufficient density in the back of the scalp, you may benefit from moving those hairs to the front where the density is thinner. Contemporary hair transplantation can offer natural results which are impossible to detect.

Now if you want a simple styling tip, I would suggest doing whatever makes YOU feel the most comfortable!

New Orleans Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.