Stem Cells for Cosmetic Treatments

How do they get the stem cells that are used for cosmetic skin treatments? Do they come from the people getting the treatments...are they using their own stem cells, or are the stem cells harvested from other people? Do people donate stem cells? I just don't get it.

It is hypothesized that there are stem cells in our own...

+4

It is hypothesized that there are stem cells in our own fat. It is thought that some of the improvement seen after fat transfer is due to stem cells in the transfered fat.

Sidney Coleman, MD in New York City has amazing pictures of patients with facial scars that appear to vanish years after fat has been placed under them. I have seen improvement in skin tone and texture in my patients as well, with improvement in scars. These "stem cells" in the fat are harvested from the patient being treated with fat transfer.

People are not donating stem cell for cosmetic reasons, although everyone would like to volunteer to give their extra fat away.

Stem Cells are present in fat grafts

+2

The scientific side of plastic surgery is very busy investigating the therapeutic effects of stem cells and certain modalities are very near clinical use.

In clinical practice, many of us who have been performing fat grafting procedures have been pleasantly surprised by the overall improvement in skin condition aside form the filling effect.

Fat grafting, with or without the concept of stem cells is a fantastic rejuvenation/cosmetic tool. It is natural, abundant and effective. It just needs to be performed properly.

I tell my patient that they may notice overall improvement in skin texture after fat grafting. But I would not recommend fat grafting as a stem cell therapy because we just don't know enough yet.

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon