How Can You Tell when Your Boobs Are Too Big?

i'm a smallish woman thats very unconfortable with her breast size, and lately i've been getting sharp pains in my mid back and i also get very raw in my cleavasge. i got professinaly measured and i would be a 32 G, i feel i get unnesicary attention all the time and at this point i would love for them to be removed completly. i'm asking for advice to help me figure out what i need to tell my doc for them to be gone. and i'm wondering if the boob tissue can be donated to breast cancer reaserch.

Breasts causing pain...

+1

It's a personal decision to determine if your breasts are too big. If they are causing rashes and back pain then it may be time for a discussion with your PCP about the problems you are having (your complaints should be documented in your medical record). Your PCP should give you a referral  to a boarded PS for a breast reduction consultation. You will need to check with your insurance carrier to see if you meet their  guidelines of medical necessity in order for them to cover the costs of a breast reduction surgery. Good Luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breasts too big?

+1

There is a personal/cosmetic answer to the question of when breasts are too big and there is a separate functional/physical answer to the same question. The first is similar to the question of when breasts are too small and the patient wants an augmentation. An average size or a C cup size or even a D cup size might be too small for some women and may be too large for others. 

The functional/physical issues with breasts that are too large is the basis for considering a breast reduction a medically necessary, insurance covered procedure rather than a cosmetic one, but the patient still has to decide for herself whether the problems associated with overly large and heavy breasts are worth the potential benefits in looks as well as the risks and trade-offs involved in a breast reduction procedure.  

In general, the female body is built to handle breasts in the A, B, and C cup range (relative to her chest circumference). D cup size breasts are by definition out of proportion. This may be considered desirable or it may cause problems that the woman feels need to be corrected by a breast reduction. The decision should reasonably be made between the patient and the plastic surgeon, but if the government or insurance is paying for the reduction procedure then those entities get to decide who can have a breast reduction and how much they will reimburse the surgeon for the procedure. 

There is no current use for breast tissue removed in a breast reduction that I am aware of but removed breast tissue is checked for any suspicious changes which also incurs a cost. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description, it sounds obvious that your breasts are too large for your frame causing you both physical and psychosocial “distress”. I think meeting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and communicating the problems that you are experiencing should suffice. In other words, communicate the issues that you have communicated online,  with the physicians that you meet in person.  It is very likely that you will be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations were perform. Your plastic surgeon will be able to inform you whether there are any research projects that will be able to utilize your breast tissue ( once it has been evaluated by pathologist).

Breast is too large when back strain impacts your life

+1

There is no breast that is really too large, and many women find a very full breast comfortable and appealing. If you suffer from back strain which impacts what you can do or wear, perhaps a breast reduction is right for you.

+1

Breast size and what is appropriate is based on patient desires and symptoms. Without photos it is difficult to answer further, but your symptoms are the common ones we hear from patients seeking reduction of the breast volume. I think you would be very pleased with the results of that surgery based on that. The tissue is frequently sent to pathology for analysis.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Size G is too Big

+1

At size 32 G, your breasts are too big.  It is going to be very difficult to find bras and clothes that will fit.  Normal range is C, D or maybe DD.  This would require reduction of at least 400 grams of tissue to get to a size C.  Insurance will cover a breast reduction if you have symptomes related to the large breasts and meet their weight requirement based on your height and weight.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon