When Will the Redness and Dents After Fractional CO2 Laser Heal?

Four weeks ago, I had done Fractional CO2 Laser procedure done on my face to get rid of acne scars. Now, the redness and dents are still there. When will these heal, and will they heal normally?

When will the redness and dents after Fractional CO2 Laser heal?

+2

Hi. You have a very valid and common question. As a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and advance physician trainer for the Lumenis CO2 Active/Deep FX, I have been asked this question very frequently.

Acne scaring is the most difficult problem to solve with any type of resurfacing. It requires several treatments to really be able to improve significantly on this condition. Do not expect resolution or major improvements from only one procedure. This is the reason you are still seeing some of the acne scars. Also you are judging the results too soon.

Four weeks is too soon to really see the improvements that resurfacing can do. As a rule, you need about six months to allow collagen to be produced by your skin after resurfacing. This translate into waiting about six months to be able to see the maximum effects that a resurfacing can do.

The redness could be caused due to different causes:

1. Early during the healing process after resurfacing, the skin will be red due to healing. There is nothing that you can do to improve this quickly. only time will take care of this. Usually it last about 3-4 weeks.
  2. If you are still red after 4 weeks, it could be possible that you have irritated the resurfaced skin. Many things could irritate the skin. Soap, perfume, pet dander, hair spray, tartar control tooth paste, colognes, deodorant, ammonia, detergents, etc. Make sure that you have no contact with those and wash your hands before you touch your face. The faster you identify what is irritating your face and quit exposing it to that irritant; the faster your face will stop being red.

Remember to always talk to your physician about any concerns that you have. Trust your face to a Facial Plastic Surgeon.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

4-12 weeks

+1
I perform several cases of Fractional CO2 laser on a weekly basis, and redness following CO2 is certainly more pronounced than erbium or radifrequency. The dents (assuming theses are scars) may need several treatments. I ALWAYS give patients realistic expectations, as acne scars can be improved, but very rarely can there be no trace of scarring. Aim for an improvement of 70% after 3-5 treatments, depending on your skin type. 

As for redness, once again this is highly variable- most cases subside with a few weeks. In rare occasions I may use a VBEAM laser to decrease redness, but I only do this after 6 weeks. Redness can be beneficial to help remodel scars. 

Hope this helps 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Aesthetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Healing

+1

Fractional C02 delivers a pulse of energy to areas on your skin in order to stimulate the growth of new collagen. Essentially your skin is renewing itself, the redness and dents are normal for such a short period of time after the procedure. Within a few months these issues should begin to go away, as your skin restores itself. Of course, you should consult the doctor from whom you received the treatment.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon