When Has Enough Time Passed for Revisional Surgery from a Lower Blepharoplasty?

I'm 3 weeks, today, post op. I have a drooping left lower lid after skin removal and fat repositioning. The drooping was clearly noticable in the recovery room. I did not have my upper lids done, but my upper left lid was swollen and drooping down over half the eye as well. I noticed that the upper lid is also not against the orbit of the eyeball as well. skin was pulled down to close wound. How can this be rectified? How soon?? Something wasnt done correctly.

When to have revisional surgery

+2

If you are only 3 weeks postop, you definitely need to give it more time.  I would not want to revise most surgeries for at least 3-6 months.  There  are numerous things you can do in the meantime such as massage, eye drops or ointments for dry eyes.  Swelling can take a long time to fully resolve and  your surgeon would be doing you a disservice to operate while there is a lot of inflammation present.  Talk with your surgeon about your concerns.  Many redo operations can be avoided by being patient.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

+2

Unless you have corneal exposure issues that cannot be addressed conservatively, massage and night time taping and lubrication are recommended until the swelling can resolve.  Reoperating so early after surgery would not be recommended.  Having said that, if you are having issues of exposure, you may need intervention sooner.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of eyelid surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lower lid droop after lower lid blepharoplasty

+2

I agree that three weeks is too early for a revision in most cases.  Messaging the lower lid up may speed the resolution.  Also, it is quite common for one side to be significantly more swollen than the other.  Tell your surgeon your concerns and ask questions. aqqother option would be to ask your surgeon to obtain a second opinion.

Steven J. Covici, MD
Springfield Oculoplastic Surgeon

Three weeks after blepharoplasty

+2

At three weeks after blepharoplasty it is too early to see the final results. It sounds like swelling and may be also from perfomring canthopey( that is, if you had it done).

Eyelid Drooping

+2

The symptoms you are describing may represent normal healing from surgery. You will need some time to heal. In my experience, these symptoms are self limiting. Keep in touch with your surgeon.All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid position issues after lower lid blepharoplasty are usually self-limited.

+2

Because of swelling the position of the lower lid may be abnormal after lower lid blepharoplasty. Conservative therapy should be completely exhausted before reoperation which is precarious. Three weeks is much too early to consider reoperation.

Healing After Blepharoplasty

+1

Three weeks after blepharoplasty is too early to judge your results.  You may or may not require a touch up, but it is too early to know whether you will.  It is not unusual for eyelids to look pulled down after surgery and come up over time.  I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon