When is the Right Time for Revision Surgery on Reconstructed Breast? (photo)

I have a 585cc cohesive gel implant (under muscle) as a result of double mastectomy w/construction. I have "side boob" and I'm wondering if this warrants a revision? I'm expecting to have expander exchange on other breast in early '12. Should I wait 'til the other breast is finished before anything is revised? How is a revision done? What is recovery like?

Revision breast reconstruction surgery

+3

Regarding the revision of a breast reconstruction surgery. it does seem that the left breast need some revision to make the breast look less boxy. Possible liposuction laterally and some skin and soft tissue excision vs. rearrangement. Other options include fat injections as well as use of an acellular  dermal matrix.

Usually about 6 months after the last surgery is a good time to perform the revision!!

Good luck !!

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

+2

With the very limited information posted. But a great posted photo, I would opt to wait til next round of surgery to do more at one setting. 

Revision of reconstructed breast works very well.

+2

Hi.

Your problem look very easy to fix.  Some skin and fat need to be removed from the side.  I would do it at the same time as the expander exchange on the other breast.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

When is the Proper Time for Revision Surgery on a Reconstructed Breast

+1

In order to get symmetry and good contour after bilateral breast Reconstruction I would recommend the following:

• Most revisional surgeries are performed between 6 mos to 1 year
  • I would recommend you wait until your opposite breast is finished and then revise the left breast at the same time.
  • In those cases of Bilateral Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomies I feel it is imperative to have a template to work from.  In your case this would be your opposite breast.

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon