When is the Right Age to Get a Lip Reduction? Is 16 Too Young?

I get teased a lot for them and i doubt that they'll thin evenly as i get older because my bottom lip is so much bigger than my top lip. Whenever i talk, they stretch out even more and it's really messing with my psychological health.

Right Age to Get a Lip Reduction

+1

While you are on the young side to consider lip reduction, it may be an option if you have parental support. Consult with 3 - 4 physicians to understand your options.  If the physicians concur you are a candidate, then consider it. If there is considerable disagreement among the physicians then wait.

Depending on your examination, you may be a candidate for lower lip reduction with the consent of your parents.

+1

Thanks for your interesting question and photo. Here's my take:

In the limited photo you provide, your lower lip appears disproportionately larger than your upper, and you have a pretty smile.

In my practice, lip reduction is typically performed on adults that may have had poor outcomes from lip augmentation procedures. Although I do not have personal experience performing lip reduction in a teen with a congenitally large lip, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider this and discuss your concerns with your parents.

The pros of the procedure are that the scar is inside your mouth, and you may end up with a more suitable balance between your upper and lower lip. The cons are that the scar may feel firm and you may end up with slight asymmetry of your lower lip.

If your parents are on board, you may want to consult a few facial plastic surgeons experienced in the delicate art of lip reduction surgery. The experience of your surgeon is critical. You should see several photos of other patients and talk with a patient that had this procedure before considering moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Since you're 16, please share this answer with your parents.  Sixteen is too young for a lower lip reduction, as the lips do thin with age.  Once you're in your early 20's you could have lower lip reduction if it's still an aesthetic issue for you but not at 16 IMHO.  IMHO, teens and pre-teens are often in too much of a hurry to grow into their appearance but the fact is that frequently takes until the mid 20's to occur.