When Do You Have the Indication of Final Result After a Revision Open Rhinoplasty?

After an open revision rhinoplasty, when can you have a good idea of the final results even though some swelling is still left? Assuming bones were broken as well. I'm one month after rhinoplasty and I'm worried a lot will still change. Is 2 months a good period to get an indication? Meaning, no big flaws will probably appear? Thanks

Revisions and Swelling at 2 Months

Two months after an open rhinoplasty revision of a complete nature is way too early to make any judgements about final appearance.  Wait at least a year.

Revision Rhinoplasty Final Result

Thank you for this question. In fact, this is a topic of some debate. The general rule of thumb for a primary rhinoplasty is that the final result is seen at about 12 months. For a revision, particularly an open revision, this may be 18 months or even 2 years. It is tough to be patient, but I recommend that you keep in touch with your surgeon and ask questions. This will help you deal with the anxiety that sometimes accompanies the healing process.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final result of rhinoplasty

Often within a year you will see the final result of a rhinoplasty, but there are those that take longer sometimes up to two years.

Final rhinoplasty results

The true answer is that it depends, but in general at least 12 months is needed for final results to show but some change continues for as much as 2 years

Sam Naficy, MD

When can I expect to see the final result of an open revision rhinoplasty

In general, it can take 18-24 months for the final result of rhinoplasty to be evident. Swelling can be influenced by thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was open or closed, whether the procedure was a revision, and whether or not tip work was performed. With an open revision rhinoplasty, your final result may not be evident for the later part of the range given. 70% of the swelling is typically gone after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. It is important to be patient during the healing process. In the meantime, I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD