When the Doctors Quote Going Down 5 "Cup" Sizes What Does That Mean Exactly?

All these different ways to measure whats going to go and whats going to be left... my head is spinning. So for example if I was a 44ddd and was told that i would go down 5 cup sizes... where does that leave me? I am trying to find "pictures" for my plastic surgeon but 99% of the info deals with cup sizes which every doctor will tell you varies. I am getting anxious about my upcoming procedure where my dr quoted as saying he was going to take 700-900 grams out!!! That seems like tooo much!!!

Reduction of breasts by 5 sizes?

+3
You are embarking upon the proper path by seeking more information. Your alarm about the prospect of over-reduction is also appropriate; It is much easier to treat under reduction by removing more breast tissue than to treat over reduction by adding more. Do not consent to any surgery until you are thoroughly comfortable with the plan, until all of your concerns have been addressed, and your questions answered to your satisfaction.

Breast reduction and final volume

+2

Without an exam it is hard to say what you would possibly be reduced.  I have performed breast reductions all they way up to 3.5Kg( about 7 or more lbs) per side!  Very large breasts in general I can't get down to smaller than a large C without compromising the shape.

Forget about cup sizes and just show your surgeon a picture of breasts you like.

+2

Hi.

As you say, it can make your head spin.  But it sounds like your surgeon is on the right track. 700 grams seems about right.   Once your plastic surgeon actually sees what you would like to look like, then he can aim for that with much more precision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Cup size after breast reduction

+2
The bra size you wear is not necessarily your true chest circumference and cup size. I see this constantly with patients who have macromastia and struggle to find bras that fit. That said, if you are a DDD,a resection of between 700-900 grams per breast would make you a full C cup. Hope this helps. It isn't too much tissue to remove. If your surgeon performs a minimal reduction, you will be left with residual back and shoulder pain and the weight of the breasts will make postop sagging more likely.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

No photos posted so you could need that much removed. But you really need a better informed consent to Fully understand the operation and expectations. 

Final breast cup size after breast reduction in Los Angeles

+1

the ultimate goal of breast reduction surgery is to make ones breast smaller, as well as to have it lifted. Most plastic surgeons in Los Angeles consider removal of at least 600-800 cc of breast tissue a formal breast reduction which will usually reduce the size of a DDD breast to a C/D breast.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Breast reduction and cup sizes

+1

It is completely normal to have some anxiety prior to surgery.  However, if you are concerned about your size following breast reduction, I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with our plastic surgeon.  As you have heard, it is nearly impossible to predict cup sizes after any type of breast surgery -- cup sizes vary from bra manufacturer to bra manufacturer, they will also vary based on your chest width -- for example, a 36 C is not the same as a 40 C although both have the same cup size.  

The goal of a breast reduction is to remove enough breast tissue so that your symptoms (back pain, neck pain, etc.) are alleviated, and to leave enough behind that you have a good blood supply for your nipple and an aesthetic appearing and proportional breast. 

Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Cup size confusion with breast reduction

+1
Unfortunately the cup size method is very inadequate so there is really no good way to predict cup size change either with augmentation or reduction. Factors such as the width of the rib cage can influence cup size as much as the amount of breast tissue, but breast reduction is measured by the weight of the tissue removed. Regardless of the cup change, breast reduction patients are usually very happy that they did it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast reduction

+1

What comes out in breast reduction only affects the risk and technique. It is what one leaves behind that is import. However, the more that comes out, the more it implies that more and more of the gland and blood supply is removed and this can increase the risk of the procedure in terms of healing. If you are uncomfortable about what to expect, go back and keep discussing it with your surgeon so you are satisfied. While there is already a bit of uncertainty with cosmetic surgery since one cannot predict exactly the outcome, you should be on the same page and level of understanding with your surgeon.

Robin T. W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Cup Size after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I have no idea what was meant by reducing your breasts “5 cup size”; you may have to ask your surgeon what he/she meant.

Unfortunately, no plastic surgeon is able to predict exactly what cup size you will be after breast reduction surgery. As you know, cup sizes vary depending on who makes the bra; this makes discussing cup size an inaccurate way of communicating your goals.  
Also, every patient's chest width varies;  if the patient has a wide chest wall it may not be possible to achieve a smaller width  or cup size.

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well.   The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
 I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.