When is the Appropiate AGE for a Male to Have Chin Augmentation and Rhinoplasty?

I heard that in males, the chin (including the jawline) doesn't stop growing (or getting more defined) till the age of 21 or around this particular age. I also heard that it's best to have Rhinoplasty at a later age because the skin becomes less oily and less thick which may decrease the refinement and improvement in a Rhinoplasty. In the meantime, I am doing excess research and answering my own questions the best I can. Thank you so much in advance for providing us with answers and concerns :)

Adolescent Chin Augmention

+1

Most chin augmentation  as well as rhinoplasty procedures are done on adults when final chin growth is finished typically from age 18 to early twenties. However in certain cases of malocclusion and undergrowth that is severe a chin augmentation may be warranted The reason we recommend waiting is to not intefere with potential growth which can cause deformity as well  as to have a long term predictable result.

In the meantime chin injectables with fillers can allow you to see the difference until such time as surgery may be indicated

Age for male to have chin augmentation and rhinoplasty

+1

After age 18 it is certainly acceptable to undergo a rhinoplasty and a chin augmentation since the facial bones have stopped growing by then.  The thick oily sebaceous skin on the tip of the nose can be problematic in the healing process after the rhinoplasty and is best addressed with cortisone shots in the supertip area of the nose to prevent buildup of fluid and scar tissue in this area.  The chin augmentation and the rhinoplasty are performed together as an outpatient procedure and take approximately 2 hours to perform in our ambulatory surgery center.

When can I have a rhinoplasty and chin implant?

+1

I think it is important for patients to be adult size before undergoing chin or nose augmentation. This prevents any possible disruption of the growth centers in the face which can create a less than optimal outcome. For me, that age is typically around 18 for males.

Todd C. Miller, MD

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for 25 years and IMHO, a male can have a Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation with Chin Implant anytime after 16 years of age.  Hope this helps.

Age for men to have rhinoplasty and chin surgery

+1

In general, you want to wait until you have fully grown to adult size since the nose and chin are usually the last to stop growing. In men I wil consdier doing this type of surgery when they are at least 17 or 18 on average. 

Age for rhinoplasty

+1

Males generally stop growing around age 18. Once there is no more than 1 inch growth in the following year than it is appropriate to do these procedures.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implants in males.

+1

If there has been no growth for a year at 18 years of age both can be done then. I have not had any exception to this in 35 years of rhinoplasty, etc. 

Proper age for Rhinoplasty.

+1

This is an excellent question. Women start their final growth spurt earlier than men and they also finish at an earlier age. For a girl, the proper age is around 16 and for a boy the proper age for rhinoplasty and genioplasty is after 18.  The oiliness of the skin is somewhat hormonal related which improves around the same time as the end of the growth spurt in most people. RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

Rhinoplasty age for males

+1

The most appropriate age for rhinoplasty is after the full growth of the facial skeleton. It is very individual depenedent but by 21 years of age most males have achieved their full growth potential. However, the earliest age for rhinoplasty and chin implant would be around 15 years of age. The deicison has to be based on an individual to ensure he is mature enough to handle the surgery at an emotional level.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

At what age are you old enough to have a rhinoplasty?

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed on young men and woman after their facial growth has been completed. This typically translates into age 15-16 for woman and 16-17 for men.

Sam Naficy, MD