When to Be Tested for Breast Cancer After Treatments Are Completed?

I was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer (with lymph node involvement). I had a mastectomy, chemo, and radiation. How long should I (typically) wait to be re-tested for cancer?

Testing for breast cancer recurrence should be done by Medical Oncology

+1

Ford330: You have been dealt a tough hand but are to be congratulated for being your own best advocate.  Tests for breast cancer recurrence (blood work and x-rays, bone scans) are usually ordered and interpreted by the Medical Oncologist, the physician who supervised your chemotherapy.  The schedule of these tests will depend on the stage of your tumor as well as any symptomatology, which could be suggestive of recurrence.  The breast cancer team is composed of Surgical Oncology, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Plastic Surgery; all of us take turns in looking after the patients but Med Onc is most important for diagnosing and treating recurrent disease. :)

Re-tested for breast cancer?

+1

There is no such thing sepcifically as re-testing for breast cancer. But you will need life long montioring for a recurrence by your oncologist and breast surgeon.