When Will Supra Tip Swelling Subside and Why Does This Area Seem to Hold Swelling?

After having a revision rhinoplasty 2 months ago, I thought swelling would be almost gone. However, the supra-tip continues to swell as the day passes. It is obvious too me as it makes my tip rounded at the top. If I apply pressure with my finger tips-not too hard-it does get smaller for a bit. I am already watching my diet (sodium) and still keeping my head elevated during sleep. Thank you for your support doctors.

Revision rhinoplasty swelling

+3

Dear Elissa2537,

• Being able to push away the swelling is a good sign
  • We disrupt the normal lymphatic flow with surgery (this is the flow that takes down the swelling)
  • Especially with a revision, there is more scar tissue acting like a dam that keeps the swelling there
  • The supratip has all of the fine cartilage work and that is why a little swelling affects the look

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Supra tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

First, the tip area has more soft tissue than the bony part of the nose. Thus this area will take significantly longer to settle. Two months is not much time and complete resolution may take up to a year. Early indications in your favor is that you can suppress the swelling indicating that it is more likely to be edema rather than underlying excess cartilage. Be patient and discuss with your surgeon. Good luck.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+2

It is common and expected to still have some swelling of the nose two months after your revision rhinoplasty.  The swelling normally can take six months to a year to subside and sometimes even longer after a revision procedure.  The nasal tip is usually the part of the nose that stays swollen the longest.  You just need to give it some more time to see your final result.  Since your are concerned, I would contact your surgeon to discuss your issue as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon