When Should I Stop Getting Spray Tans, Using Tanning Beds, and Strength Training Before a MM?

Im having a Mommy Makeover in 9 days. I do strength training 3x's a week and all my muscles are extremely sore for 2 days after. When should I stop working out. I also get spray tanned and use a tanning bed 2x's a week. When should I stop this as well

Exercising prior to Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

Your plastic surgeon would be the one to go over the do's and don't prior to surgery but generally speaking, it will be fine to work out up until your date of surgery.  After surgery you will need to discuss the recovery process with your surgeon and get his/her OK to start working out again.

As for spray tanning, that is fine as well up until your surgery day.  Tanning beds are not good for you / your skin and I highly recommend that you stop going to the tanning beds altogether.

Good Luck with your surgery.

Tanning and Exercise leading up to Mommy Makeover

+1

Hi there-

I would agree with my colleagues that you should stop tanning bed use now and never do it again. It may be some time before you do, but there is no doubt in my mind that you will eventually regret this activity.

With regard to exercise, I would say that you may exercise right up to the day of your procedure, but I might think about reducing the intensity of the workouts for the week prior.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

You may stop strength training and spray tanning 1-2 days before mommy makeover.

+1

You may stop strength training and spray tanning 1-2 days before surgery.  I do not recommend that you go to a tanning bed. It is very harmful for your skin, place you at risk for developing skin cancer, and cause you to age prematurely. Discuss specifically with your surgeon.

Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover pre-op

+1

Dear Hawaii,

You will find that most surgeons will tell you you can exercise up to the last day, spray tanning is fine but no tanning bed !

I tell my patients that it is like " roasting yourself in a microwave oven " and your skin will pay the price sooner than later.

Good luck with the procedures and recovery, but no tanning post-operatively either, or you can develop hyperpigmentation on the bruised areas and scars.

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Preparation for a Mommy Makeover

+1

Congratulations on your decision to undergo a Mommy Makover.  Being in outstanding physical condition will help you recover faster than someone that is deconditioned.  I allow my patients to work out right up to the time of their surgery.  Spray tanning is fine, but try to wean yourself from the tanning bed.  It damages your ski nso extensively you can only regret it as time passes. The more we know about the effects of ultraviolet light the more we realize its toxicities.  Let your healthy option at surgery be to get your color from spray tans alone.  See my blog on tanning beds.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

When to stop tanning before and after surgery

+1

I think it is fine to do you spray tanning and working out up to a couple of days before surgery. The tanning bed can permanently damage your skin and I would recommend avoiding it as much as possible. I would make sure he got no tanning bed or sun exposure on your scars or skin in the areas of your surgery as you may get permanent skin discoloration.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon