When Can I Starting Wearing my Own Bras?

Bras after breast surgery

+2

One of the exciting things about breast enhancement is buying new bras in styles you couldn't wear before. But don't let your excitement rush you into wearing a bra that compromises your healing and results. As you can see, every surgeon has his or her own preferences for bras after surgery. It also depends on what type of breast surgery you had. In the case of breast implants, most doctors want you to wear a soft supportive bra for several weeks after surgery. Many will even recommend that you sleep in the bra for optimal healing. But underwire bras are another story. There are several reasons to postpone wearing underwire bras after breast augmentation. The underwire can irritate an inframammary incision, and can cause implant malposition. It can also restrict blood flow to the area which can affect healing. Some doctors recommend that you avoid wearing an underwire bra for up to 6 months after your augmentation. Ask your surgeon what he or she thinks is right for your particular situation. Best of luck.

Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Wearing bras after BA

+1
You should ask your surgeon when you can start wearing a regular bra. It is recommended to avoid wearing underwire bras for the first two months following surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

When is it ok to wear your own bras after Breast Augmentation?

+1

For a primary augmentation, I think it is fine to wear your own support bra at 3-4 weeks.

If you have had a breast revision surgery, breast augmentation with lift, or breast asymmetry correction, I prefer to use a surgical implant bra for up to 6 weeks to minimize the risk of implant displacement.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Bra use after augmentation

+1

will vary by doctor to doctor.  But if you're ever at that 'perfect' look, I would advise my patients to be wearing some kind of support to prevent further, undesired descent of the implant.  Best to check with your surgeon whom you entrusted your care to.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation and bras

+1

It is best to ask your doctor when you can wear a regular bra. I usually let people after about a few weeks.

Breast Augmentation

+1

I allow my patients to use their own bras 6 weeks after their BBA.  You should ask your PS what they suggest in your particular case.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

+1

This is best asked of your surgeon, who knows what was done, and the rationale for the type of bra chosen for you.

All the best. 

Regular Bra After Surgery

+1

Most patients resume wearing their own bras after 6 weeks, but this can vary from patient to patient. Bras without underwire are recommended during the first few weeks post op.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Regular bra after breast augmentation

+1

Congrats on your surgery!  It is best to follow your surgeon's recommendations on when to resume normal bra use.  I ask patients to refrain from using a bra with an underwire for 6 weeks.  Good luck with your recovery!

Naveen Setty, MD

When can I start wearing my own bras?

+1

Following the instructions your treating physician gave you would be recommened.  In my practice I have my patients wear a sports bra for 4 weeks after surgery day and night.  At their 4 week follow up appointment we fit them for a bra and have them start wearing a lightly lined bra with underwire during the day and a sports bra at night.

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon