When Can I Start Lifting After BA?

I had a breast augmentation 5 weeks and 3 days ago. I had 325 cc submuscular. I have had no problems and very little pain. My doctor cleared me at 3 weeks, but that just seemed a lil early so I still havent lifted anything yet. When is it ok to start lifting gallons of milk or the family dog ( which weighs 10 lbs)? Is it ok to do so at 3 weeks out?

Daily Lifting After Breast Augmentation

+1

Every patient is different but at about 1.5 months and not sooner after a breast augmentation that lifting more than 10 lbs should be allowed as far as no pain or discomfort happens.

With that perspective, I believe lifting a gallon of milk should not be a problem in your case especially that your surgeon did clear you for normal daily lifting.

Furthermore, I recommend my patients to use more their forearms and elbows when lifting rather than stretching their pectoralis muscle when resuming lifting gradually; eventually the patient will feel well lifting weights gradually within their comfort zone.

I hope this helps and please bear in mind that your surgeon knows the full details of your surgery and it is for your interest to follow his/her instructions religiously.

Thank you for your post and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian 

Lifting After Breast Augmentation

+1

Nothing heavier than a plateful of food for two weeks. Then you can increase a little at a time over the next four weeks. No exercise, heaving lifting, athletics or vigorous housework until six weeks postop.

Stephen E. Zucker, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

When Can I Start Lifting After Breast Aug? #breastaugmentation

+1

It is important for you to follow what your surgeon has told you. I do not want my patients lifting more than about 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks. This has more to do with the science behind wound healing. It takes 6 weeks for incisions to have their maximal strength back. Also you now have an implant beneath a muscle that is very powerful. For the first 3 months a capsule is forming around your implants. For that reason I also do not allow my patients to do any kind of strenuous pectoralis exercise for at least 3 months if not for life. The reason is because the affect of the pectorals will push the implant out towards the armpits over time. It may be inevitable but the less you do with your pectoralis muscle the better chance you have of not displacing your implant.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Lifting After Breast Augmentation

+1

I clear my patients at one month post-op. My rule of thumb though is if something feels uncomfortable or causes pain, either modify or stop. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Lifting after Breast Augmentation

+1

I allow my patients to begin normal daily lifting after 3 weeks, such as a gallon of milk.  I would not recommend doing any heavy weight lifting, like at the gym, until 6 weeks post op.  Everybody heals differently and you sound like you are doing great.  Listen to your body and ease back into your daily tasks.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

+1

I generally clear my patients to resume activity as tolerated 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Lifting and activity during breast implant surgery recovery

+1

Lifting anything more than 5 kilos, about the weight of two or three yellow page books, should not be initiated less than 6 weeks after surgery.Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and lifting

+1

I usually have patients wait about 6-8 weeks to perform heavy lifting after breast surgery. You should check with your surgeon.

Lifting after breast augmentation

+1
I do not see a problem listing items which weigh 10 lbs or less three weeks after surgery but recommend that you consult with your plastic surgeon and follow his recommendations.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When to Begin Lifting After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

It is always best to follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon as he/she knows your situation best.  Always listen to your body and if things become uncomfortable with lifting (the family dog for example) then don't do it.

Go slow and listen to your body.