When Can I Start with Exercise After a Tummy Tuck. Had It Three Weeks Ago Bit is Still Quite Swollen? (photo)

When Can I Start with Exercise After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon alone should be your resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed.

He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care. Online consultants' advise here may be confusing (and even dangerous).

When Can I Start with Exercise After a Tummy Tuck. Had It Three Weeks Ago Bit is Still Quite Swollen?

+1

We can not offer you treatment advise over the internet. ASK your surgeon, he/she knows you best. But if still "quite swollen" than NO do not start exercising until cleared by your surgeon. 

Tummy tuck and exercise

+1

Most surgeons recommend at least six weeks pass after a tummy tuck before someone begins exercising.  Walking quite a bit right after surgery helps minimize a person's risk of blood clots.  Running and doing core exercises place stress  on the scar line as well as on the internal muscles that may have been pulled together.  Doing these types of activities too soon could cause the incision line to open or the muscles to pull apart; neither of these would make someone very happy.  Additionally these types of activities may increase the likelihood of developing a fluid accumulation under the tissues (called a seroma) and that could require additional treatment.  Your surgeon probably has some guidelines about exercise and that's really going to be your best resource.  Hopefully you're already loving your result!

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after tummy tuck: how soon?

+1

You are still swollen at 3 weeks.  Follow your surgeons instructions regarding exercise. In my practice I allow patients to do aerobic exercises (cardio) as soon as they feel ready which is generally 2-3 weeks after surgery.  However core strengthening such as situps should wait for 2-3 months.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Exercise After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

I recommend that your hold off on vigorous exercising for at least six weeks. Exercising causes excessive movement of skin over your core that can produce fluid.  Your surgeon will guide you as how you can ramp up your exercise regimine.  I also you wear some type of compressive garment/binder for  six weeks to minimize fluid collection beneath the skin. 

Best Wishes!

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS