When is It Okay to Start Exerciing After Ventral Hernia/diastasis Repair? (photo)

I am 4 1/2 wks. post op. & feeling more like myself again. Still notice that I do get winded easily..When is it okay to begin exercising & what r the best exercises to do? I was doing P90X, Insanity & Asylum up until my surgery. I know I should start slow, but I don't want to undo any of the good or have a recurrence of hernia. I also don't want to baby myself, but not sure if I should push myself. Sorry, I don't have any b4 pics to post..my PS has those. Any advice would appreciated. Thanks.

Exercise following diastasis repair

+2

I ususlly permit my patients to begin some low impact aerobic activity i.e. walking either outdoors or on a treadmill 2-3 weeks post op.  I ask them to avoid activities that cause a strain on the abdominal muscles for 2-3 months.  Common sense would dictate that stressing the diastasis repair too early might cause it to fail.  Some dumbell curls and extensions and isolated resistance work for your legs would also be acceptable.  Stop immediately if you feel any pain in your abdomen.

Appropriate Time for Strenuous Exercises After Repair of Ventral Hernia and Diastasis

+2

Your surgeon is best qualified to recommend the timing and intensity of any excercise routine since he is most familiar with the exact nature of your repair and the quality of your abdominal tissues.  Generally speaking, you should start excercising slowly and gently such as walking and when it's time to increase the intensity of the excercises you should report to your surgeon any discomfort or pain which you may experience before pushing yourself any further. 

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

When to exercise after tummy tuck

+2

This answer is easy. You need to ask your surgeon. Only your surgeon knows exactly what was done at surgery and how long it will take to heal before you can safely return to exercise.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Don't mess up your splendid result with over-zealous exercising!

+2

You have a great result, so your first resource should be your own surgeon, who has a vested interest in your continued good outcome, and will be the person you go to should you tear your muscle repair and develop a hernia or bleed.

Truly, at 4 1/2 weeks post-op these are unlikely, but with the intensity of the exercise programs you were previously involved with, you should hold off at least 6 weeks, and more if your surgeon tells you so. Only s/he knows the strength and thickness of your abdominal wall fascia, how tightly the muscle plication was performed, and whether or not these sutures seemed to "tear through" a bit as they were being placed. These factors might make any of us advise a bit more caution before resuming the most vigorous activities.

In general, I use the 2-4-6 rule for most procedures. For 2 weeks you should do nothing that raises your blood pressure or pulse. Walking is fine, but not "power walking" or treadmill use, for example. Your body is burning calories healing! After 4 weeks most light exercise and activities can be resumed, so long as they are started gradually, and don't especially "target" an area of operation (such as upper body exercises after submuscular breast augmentation, or sit-ups/crunches after tummy tuck). At 6 weeks (if all has healed well) patients can resume those targeted exercises, and may engage in tackle football, pole vaulting, and trapeze sex if they wish, so long as they still start gradually and build up intensity of any activity slowly. That pretty much covers most operations (and activities), though of course there are per-patient considerations or areas of delayed healing, fluid (seroma) retention, or other concerns for which individualized recommendations are made.

THAT is why you ask your surgeon! Congratulations on your result; thank your surgeon for splendid work! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post-abdominoplasty exercising

+2

Congratulations on a great result.  I personally advise patients to refrain from exercise for at least six weeks after abdominoplasty.  Only your surgeon knows the extent of the procedure and I recommend that you take his advice on this.  In the meantime, you can certainly walk for exercise and, whenever you are cleared to resume more strenous fitness training, you should ease into it gently.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+2

Only your plastic surgeon knows exactly what was done, so the safest thing to do is to as them. In general walking is encouraged after your tummy tuck. Heavy lifting and strenuous activity is delayed a minimum of 6 weeks, and sometime longer. If you were doing P90X, Insanity & Asylum prior to surgery, you will want to get clearance form your plastic surgeon before restarting them. When you do restart, do so gradually. Starting too fast may effect your surgical results or cause a muscle injury since you have not been at that level of activity for some time. Once fully recovered, however, there should be no long term limitations. Be safe.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

What to know about exercise after tummy tuck

+2

The muscle repair that is a routine part of a tummy tuck has a healing process similar to hernia repairs, and we know from studies that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks for those to heal strongly enough to withstand stress. So no lifting or resistance training until 6 weeks, but gradual return to lighter forms of exercise before that. You should discuss this with your own surgeon who should be able to give you specific recommendations.

Richard Baxter, MD

Resuming exercise after abdominal surgery

+2

Ultimately, each surgeon has preferences regarding how long a patient should wait before resuming exercise after surgery. Most people can resume very light activity within a couple of weeks and can then gradually increase from there as tolerated. Paticularly dynamic exercises (such as P90X) should likely be the last types of activity that you resume. Please ask your surgeon about their preferences.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

When can exercise post tummy tuck

+2

I would strongly suggest you discuss this with your surgeon. The surgeon knows the extent of your separation and how strong the repair was. I usually wait 3-4 months before permitting the type of exercises you are looking to start. I have seen the repair stretched if not waiting that long.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Start Exercising After Ventral Hernia/diastasis Repair

+2

This question is best addressed to your surgeon(s). I usually allow patients to resume abdominal exercises, gradually, beginning at 6 weeks, when the wound strength reaches 90% of its final strength.

However, your surgeon(s) should make the recommendation, knowing what was done, and how your incisions are healing.

Thanks and best wishes.