When Will I Be Able to Stand Up Straight?

I'm 5 days post op, I also had breast augmentation.My drains were pulled at 3 days, and I stopped all pain meds at 2 days. Im a pretty tough gal. I'm the mom to 4 so it comes with the territory:) all and all feeling great. I just want to know when I can expect to be standing straight? This bent over situation is killing my back:( Are there any techniques I can do to help? Also related to numbness are there any known theories to help aid in regeneration of the cells? Like ice, message, etc?

When to stand straight after a tummy tuck

+2

Hi - I hope your recovery is going well. I usually don't have my patients stand up straight until a week after surgery if they've had a tummy tuck. Some of my patients have battled the back pain by using a cane or a walker. These can be easily purchased at drug stores, online, or potentially borrowed by cane-wielding relatives or friends. Sleeping in a recliner or in bed with two pillows under your head and  one or two under your knees to stay bent at the waist can also take the strain off of your back muscles. A muscle relaxant such as flexeril can help at times too. Regarding your numbness, are you referring to the numbness around your breast incisions or around your lower abdomen/incision area? It is normal to be numb here, and there is not much that can be done early on to speed up nerve recovery. You may always have some residual numbness around your incisions. Sometimes around 2 weeks post-op patients will report a "shooting" or brief stinging/itching sensation around their incisions - this is usually a sign that some of the nerves in your skin are growing/waking up again. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

By five days I usually have my patients work on standing erect. This can be tough if you are using only your stressed back muscles. 

More effective is to lean against a wall back flat on the wall, and use your legs to straighten up--all while holding on to a table or counter. A few of these several times a day will help break the spasm or tension in your back and core muscles. 

All the best. 

Stand up straight varies from one patient to another

+1

Patients have to be bent for the period of time recommended by their plastic surgeon. I generally tell my patients to stand up straight 4-5 days after surgery but this period of time can vary from one patient to another. You can also have massages to get better soon and solve numbness; this will disappear as you heal from your surgery. You describe yourself as a strong woman and I don’t doubt it but before doing anything please ask your plastic surgeon. Best Wishes!