When Will a Significant Amount of Swelling Go Down After Rhinoplasty?

I am officially 1 week post op closed septorhinoplasty. No bones were broken. Straightened the septum and reduced bulbocity. I understand I'm still early in the game, but just wondered what percentage of swelling will go down from this point. Will it be 1/3 narrower...1/2 narrower? My nose is wider and more bulbous now than pre op. I understand it can take up to a year for the final result, but how soon will I see significant results?

+1

Thank you for your question. The degree of swelling can vary greatly from patient to patient. Swelling can be patient dependent (meaning that it will depend on your own body) versus technique dependent (meaning it will be related to the amount of work done). Although it is hard to give you a definitive answer, the majority of your swelling should be resolved by 4-6 weeks. After that period, it will become more difficult for you to appreciate the slower decrease in swelling that will take place. Although we always tell our patients that the swelling will continue to decrease over a year period, the appearance of your nose at 6 months is pretty close to what it will ultimately look like at one year. Ultimately, the best person to answer your question is your surgeon who knows exactly what maneuvers he performed and exactly what to expect. In terms of results, rhinoplasty is more of a marathon than a race and you need to be patient. Best of luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was open or closed, whether the procedure was a revision, and whether or not tip work was performed. I would recommend consulting with your physician regarding any post-operative concerns, as they know the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com

Most of the swelling will be gone from the nose by 6 months

+1

You will see gradual changes to the shape of your nose over the next 6 months.  It can sometimes take even longer for the nasal tip to soften up.  Be patient before you judge the final result.  

+1

Swelling is dependent upon the patient and surgical technique as well as maneuvers employed.  In most cases, swelling can last for 6 months to one year.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

60% of swelling down by 6 weeks.   70% of swelling down by 10 weeks.  85% down by 14 weeks.  90% down by 30 weeks.  And 100% down by 52 weeks.  This is flexible but a guideline.   Early on noses appear more swollen than before.  You will be fine.  My Best.  Dr C

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon