When is It Safe to Wear Makeup After a Facial Mole Removal? (photo)

I had a mole removed by a dermatologist for cosmetic reasons via shaving. Bottom left picture shows the area immediately after removal; I was instructed to prevent scabbing of the area by all measures. After about 3 weeks since my mole's been removed it seems the wound hasn't made much progress (right photo). I'm tired of it looking like there's a cigarette burn on my face, yet feel like it's still a gaping wound and unsafe for makeup! When will it be safe to wear concealer and makeup over the area?thx!

Mole removal

+1

From the photo, it appears that the wound is still in need of healing.  I would highly recommend that you keep the area clean and moist with vaseline, allowing it to granulate.  

Shave Removal for a Mole

+1

In my experience, shaving moles either leads to a return of the mole, or the experience that you have had.  It appears that the "shave" performed removed a portion of the dermis and the wound will need to granulate in.  I would recommend use of vaseline three times per day until the wound has re-epithelialized. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Makeup after Mole Removal

+1

With a shave removal you need to avoid makeup until its healed.  The open wound will heal more quickly in a moist environment, we recommend antibiotic ointment or Vaseline applied lightly twice a day.  Once its healed switch to a scar cream rubbed in twice a day.  With an excision, you need to avoid makeup until the sutures are removed in 5-6 days.  Then you start the scar cream too.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Shave excision or mole removal

+1

It's difficult to tell from your photo, however, it looks like that quite a deep shave was done if it is still not healed in 3 weeks. Usually a "shave excision" should heal within a week to 10 days at the most. It is actually normal for a small scab to form after a shave which then falls off and it should heal much like a graze.

If shave excision is done correctly, it should not leave a scar (as the whole purpose of a shave excision is to avoid a scar which occurs with a formal excision).  Ideally, it forms a scab, which then falls off and a small pink patch remains which fades over time.

I usually let my patients wear makeup at 7 days (and the same if I do a formal excision as I remove the stitches at 7 days on the face).

It appears from your photos and history you have quite a deep shave and looks like a scab has formed in the bottom left hand corner photo. A scab is an inevitable response to a deep shave, it is not really something you can avoid. Whilst light powder or concealer is not dangerous over a scab, I would not pick at it or rub too much. Just let it fall off in its own time, and then commence massaging of the scar with moisturiser. 

Simone Matousek, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon