When is It Safe to Fly After Open Rhinoplasty in Patient with VWD Type 1?

I had open rhinoplasty about three weeks ago and am wondering if I could fly about a month from now. I am nervous about getting on a plane because I have von Willebrand disease type 1 (mild) and in general a symptom of this bleeding disorder is nosebleeds. I oddly enough have never experienced this symptom in my life but I am worried now that I have had open rhinoplasty getting on plane so soon will trigger a nosebleed.

Time Required To Fly After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Smacker,

If you were to wait around two weeks for acceptable recovery to take place and the risk of bleeding to decrease, then flying should be less dangerous considering your condition and the fluctuation of the pressure in flying.

Nonetheless, with physical examination to assess the recovery progress your doctor can have a better perspective over your issue. So I encourage you to keep your surgeon in the loop of your plans as he/she knows what was specifically done during the surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Flying after rhinopalsty

+1

We have patients who fly in for surgery, stay 10 days, and then fly home.  There is some risk of bleeding with the barometric pressure changes in flying.  It is hard to really say when is safe, but we have had no problems with 10 days. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon