When to Return to Work After TT & BR Combination Surgery?

I'm planning a TT & BR together. Realistically, when should I be able to return t work? I have a desk job.

Return to Work after Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with usually very patient pleasing surgery.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to guide you in regards to recovery time and return to work concerns. In my practice, given the extent of surgery planned, I would suggest a minimal of 3 to 4 weeks of time off. This may need to be extended in the event of complications and/or patient variation with recovery time etc.

Since you are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

After a tummy tuck and breast reduction you may be able to get back to a desk job within a week

+1

When I see patient requesting a tummy tuck and a breast reduction, I recommend taking at least one week off from work.  Sitting position is the best position to be in after a tummy tuck so a desk job is great.  If your pain is mild and you do not need strong pain medications, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to go back.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Down time after tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

Thank you for your question.  Plan to take about two weeks off as long as there are no complications.  Also, make sure you have a release to return to work from your plastic surgeon.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

Usually a tummy tuck and a breast reduction can be performed together. If all goes well, you should be able to go back to a desk job type of work within  two weeks.

Time off after reduction/abdominoplasty

+1
This question is best asked of your plastic surgeon and would take into account factors including your means and length of commit but I would also suggest a minimum of 3-4 weeks off to enable you to recuperate. It's always better to plan for a longer medical leave than to disappoint an employer by staying out longer than anticipated.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When to Return to Work After TT

+1

no less than 3 weeks  and no more than 1 month after both  surgeries  to be recovered  completely

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon