When can I resume normal workouts including ab - is 4 weeks okay? Any advise to stretch bb more to marble size?

I am 51 yrs (5' 2" - smaller build) had a full tt Aug. 30/11 because I had large babies (9+ & almost 12 lbs). Had SR Nov 18 as bb was slit & ps wanted to remove/thin scar. F/U with ps is on Dec. 18/13. At 1 Week po I removed my bb stitches (I don't think they were dissolving at all as they were nylon). When can I resume my normal workouts that include ab work? My bb is still quite small I can put a 7mm bead in but hope to get a marble in there. Any advise to get it stretched more?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. The only resource that you should heed should be your plastic surgeon, who knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, what you are planning on doing ( in terms of exercise etc.) and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Personally, in my practice I suggest patients wait on returning to abdominal wall workouts at least 3 months after tummy tuck surgery. This return is individualized based on some of the factors mentioned above.

Ask your plastic surgeon if he/she recommends a gradually increasing size of small marbles place in the umbilicus to help combat the umbilical contraction that is occurring. Also, see if the use of diluted steroid medication etc. injected into the umbilical scar is indicated.

Working Out and Stretching Belly Button

+1

Thank you for your question. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said since you have an appointment on December 18th with your plastic surgeon, I recommend that you ask your doctor. A physical exam will determine when you can resume an exercise program. You can also discuss your concerns regarding your belly button,

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS