When Can I Resume Exercising and Will my Body Be As Firm As It Used to Be Before the Liposuction?

I'm a 38 year old female, mother of two. I had a liposuction surgery on the 21st of Nov. 3.5 liters of fat were removed from my abdomen, flanks and thinghs. I am an athlete who works out daily, lifts weights and run 5 miles a day. my stomach has lose skin now and my back is still very swollen and numb. will endermologie help? lymphatic Drainage? deep tissue massage? can I do sit ups? my doctor says that my body might get swollen after workout, I wish to know why?

Wait at least 6 weeks before exercise after Liposuction

+2

I think it is a good idea to wait at least 6 weeks before resuming exercise after any significant liposuction procedure.  Exercise increases blood pressure and blood pressure increases fluid egress into the tissues.  Thus, you will have more swelling and a greater risk for fluid collection, which can cause poor postoperative results if not drained in a timely fashion.  The other items you mentioned have not been proven to help.  However, most plastic surgeons will recommend some sort of massage later to help with small contour irregularities.

When to resume exercise after liposuction

+2

This is a situation that's very common after liposuction. Even though you feel good at 3 weeks after your liposuction, your body has not healed completely. Residual swelling is a signal that your body is still healing. Excessive motion or strenuous activity involving areas of liposuction may increase the risk of fluid collection or seroma. I do believe that endermologie, and lymphatic drainage massage are very useful in reduce the swelling, softening and smoothing out the tissue, and improving skin retraction (up to a point). All of my post liposuction patients are put on some type of massage therapy to make sure that outcome is optimized. Check in with your surgeon periodically to see when you can resume your workout and running. A good general rule is to start slow and see how your body respond.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

What to expect after liposuction.

+2

You are only approximately 3 weeks out from your surgery so you are no where near your final result.  As you note, you still have swelling in certain areas and this is normal for this early time frame.  These swollen tissues have not fully healed and putting an additional stress on them, such as sit ups, etc may cause more swelling (and you more pain).  Check with your doctor for the time frame to return to full activity.  I am not sure whether Endermologie, lymphatic drainage or deep tissue massage will help with this, but I do know that time and patience will definitely improve the swelling, and it costs you nothing.  With regard to your body being as firm as before the surgery, this depends on how elastic you skin is and how much it "snaps back".  Once cleared to do so, the exercises you do will certainly help get you to as firm a body as possible.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

3 weeks after liposuction

+1

At three weeks post liposuction it is stoo early to see the final results. Things have to settle down and it may take a few more months. 

Concerns after Liposuction

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to resuming activity after the procedure performed. He/she knows exactly how you are doing and is ultimately responsible for your care. 

I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and communicate your questions/concerns with your own plastic surgeon.