When Can I Resume Exercise After Liposuction of Waist and Thighs?

I had liposuction over my saddlebags, abdomen,&outer thighs,& a little over my lower back. It has been 1 wk.I have been wearing the compression garment as instructed & had a small umbilical hernia repaired w 1 small stitch I started walking my dogs soon after the surgery. Nothing strenuous, just 40 min. Is that ok? I know I can't do any strenuous exercise for at least 2 wks I normally jog 4 miles/day, weight train,& spin on a bike. Do you think my swelling will take longer to go down?

Exercising After Liposuction

+2

Good Question. Having a hernia repair along with the liposuction will stretch your time back to unrestricted exercise. I agree that you should consult with your doctor as to their specific instructions. I require that all patients do some light walking the day of their liposuction procedure to decrease the risk of getting a blood clot in either leg. I then allow light exercise after 4 days (depending on how the patient is feeling). I always see my patients back after 2-4 days to evaluate and then give them exercise instructions based on their individual case. My favorite quote is "to be attentive to your body, if the exercise is causing pain - you need to back off."

Most patients can gradually return to full exercise after 2-6 weeks. Remember, it is an ACTIVE healing process after liposuction.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

When To Exercise After Liposuction and Hernia Repair?

+2

I encourage my patients to walk right after surgery as a precaution for DVT.  I would describe this as light walking around the house or in the yard, not strenuous walking with the intent to increase your heart rate. I allow more strenuous activity at the 2-3 week mark and ask that they increase the level slowly over a period of a couple of weeks. If I repair a hernia, then I have them wait around 6 weeks before they pursue strenuous exercise. As the other doctors have mentioned, ask your surgeon what they want you to do.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after liposuction

+2

Walking right after liposuction is great, and low impact exercise can begin after two, more strenuous activity after four. The hernia may slow you down a bit, and it may take six to eight weeks without straining to ensure the hernia does not recur.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Exercising after liposuction and small hernia repair.

+2

First and foremost, you should talk with your surgeon and get their specific instructions on when returning to light, moderate and finally unrestricted exercise is OK.  Every surgeon is different about when they allow exercise to be liberalized.  In general, surgeons like their patients walking after surgery to minimize the risk of blood clots in the legs.  The progression to a higher level of exercise usually is around 4 weeks.  Putting any stress on your abdomen where the hernia was replaced may require at least 6 weeks.  Again, check for specifics with your surgeon about timing of return and what garments for support they wish you to wear.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Recovery after Liposuction

+2

Recovery really should hinge on what the plastic surgeon who performed your procedure thinks is necessary. Usually one to two weeks will do the trick and you can get back to your usual routine. That's the beauty of lipo!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Hernia is the rate limiting factor

+2

Thanks for your question.  In my practice your hernia repair would be the rate limiting part of your procedures.  Depending on how large and difficult it was to repair would affect my decision. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Exercise after liposuction

+2

Your walking during this recovery time is probably fine.  Because you had an umbilical hernia repaired, I would extend your strenous activity and weight lifting restrictions longer than 2 weeks.  But, surgeons have their own preferences for patient's postoperative restrictions and I would ask your surgeon for specifics. 

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Exercise after Liposuction?

+2

Unfortunately,  online consultation is not the best place to receive advice  for postsurgical care and/or return to activity. Your plastic surgeon knows your situation best,  including exactly what was done and how your recovery is progressing. For me to advise you about specific postoperative activity would be irresponsible.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Exercise after Liposuction Suggestions

+1

Exercise Recommendations after liposuction and Information about Liposuction Recovery
Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction including Laser Lipo,Smart Lipo and other lipo techniques.

Normal activity may be resumed at 2 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Activity after liposuction

+1

Overdoing it will prolong the resolution of the swelling, so the first two weeks are the most important, after that, increasing activity but wearing compression garments helps. High impact activity like running will cause more swelling than walking on a treadmill on a high incline too

Julio Garcia, MD