When Replacing Bonding, Can a Small Layer of the Old Bonding Be Left on the Tooth to Protect the Enamel from Possible Abrasion?

Replacing bonding

+3

When replacing bonding, many times you can leave the deep layer that is on the enamel as long as it is not discolored or full of stains or decay. 

Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Remove Bonding

+2

The old material should be totally removed because I have found things hiding underneath too many times like decay or stains.  Don't worry about enamel abrasion because the new bonding or veneer you are getting will cover it and protect it as well.  Your dentist will also be very careful only to remove what is necessary.

Justin Mund, DDS
Fort Worth Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing Old Bonding

+2

It is best to remove all old materials to be certain everything is clean and decay free.  But if the underlying bonding is not too old or discolored and an adequate bond can be obtained, some of the existing bonding material can be left.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Leaving old bonding underneath new bonding.

+2

I prefer to remove all remnant of any old dentistry and place new dentistry over solid and real tooth structure.  I have a microscope that helps precise drilling.  I hope that helps.  Dr. David Frey

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Bonding and repairs

+1

This depends on if you are talking about a deep filling or cosmetic bonding on a natural tooth.On a filling I agree with those who remove all the old bonding to ensure that their is no decay underneath.  That being said if it is extremely deep, then sometimes a judgment call will be to leave a thin layer that covers the nerve.  You can sometimes repair bonding that is done for cosmetics and not remove all the old bonding.  However, I think a stronger bond is obtained by removing the old bonding.  Hope this helps clarify things.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Leaving old bonding under new one.

+1

I have no problem leaving some of the old boding in the deepest parts of the tooth. However, the new bonding should cover the enamel in order to get maximum strength.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding - leaving some old bonding when replacing

+1

When replacing bonding it is ok to leave decay in the deepest parts as long as their is no decay or discoloration around the part that you are leaving

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist