When You Remove a Mole It Supoosed to Be Gone 100%, Right?

I had mole on my back remved about 3 months ago. It healed and now I can see that tere are 3 small brown spots left over (originally it was a big brown raised mole.) sould i go back and get the spots removed too?

Removing a mole from the skin

+2

It is possible that there was some residual melanocytes within the original mole that were left behind.  This may require reexcision, particularly if the pathology specimen indicated anything abnormal.

I would perform this under local anesthesia. 

Mole removal

+2

If the mole was surgically excised, then there should not be any remaining pigment to the area.  If the mole was shaved off, then it is possible that there still could be some faint areas of pigment remaining.  If the area is flat now, the only way to remove the remaining spots would be to surgically remove it.  This may cause more of a scar then you have now, so it may not be worth it to undergo such a procedure.  I would return to your physician to discuss your options.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+2

It depends on how the mole was removed.  If the mole was removed with complete surgical excision, then there should not be a regrowth of the mole.  I would follow-up with your physician. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Mole not 100% gone

+2

Well, it sort of depends on what was removed and what the biopsy report came back as..... Also, how big was the removal, how was it done, and how well were you able to follow post-care protocols? If you have any questions about a prior removal it would be best to visit your physician who did the procedure for an evaluation. It could be marks left from sutures, a piece of the remaining mole, a bit of a scar, or many other options. Best just to have it checked out.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Get it checked out

+1

The usual goal with mole removal is to completely excise it. You should return to your physician and address these concerns during the follow up physical exam. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS