When Would You Definitely Recommend High Profile Implants? (Other Than for the Fake Look)

I've read many bad things about HPs, especially if wanting a more natural look.Are there certain body types or breast shape/volume issues that would call for HP more routinely? I have a small frame and a 12cm bwd -I'm very flat on the top from nursing my children.Could this be why my PS is recommending HP instead of Moderates?I have read that HP can be good for a narrow chest, but I've never considered myself to have a narrow chest, just small breasts.(5'6" 115lbs & have trouble filling an A cup)

When Would You Definitely Recommend High Profile Implants

+2

I am not sure I could identify a "routine" indication for a given profile. In general, my approach is to determine the size that works well for the patient, and I suggest the profile that best matches the patient's breast width. 

For 12 cm, the largest Moderate plus implant I would want to use would be 304cc (Allergan).  Anything larger, I would suggest HP implants, with 425 cc the maximum without a careful review of the pros and cons. 

Occasionally, a patient's primary concern is profile. In that setting, the size choice is more limited. For 12 cm width, options would be about 240 cc LP, 304 cc Mod+, 425 cc HP. 

It is best to discuss this in person with your surgeon. All the best. 

Implant size

+1

High profile implants do not necessarily create a fake look.   Implant selection depends on several variables.   I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Choosing a size for breast augmentation

+1

I think you will achieve the results you wish. But rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present.  In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon.

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

There is no specific breast implant profile that I would consider “bad”. The best breast implant size/profile for a specific patient will best be determined by considerations of breast/chest wall measurements and specific patient goals.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

When HP implants are chosen...

+1

My patients size with external sizers and pick the volume they desire.  With their chest and breast measurement in mind and their desires as to how much space they want between the breasts, I pick an implant that fits on their body.  If you have a 32 inch band and want large implants, you can almost be certain you will have high profile implants.

BREAST IMPLANT PROFILE

+1

A patients breast width is not the only factor in determining the appropriate profile.  Others consideration are the patients desires, the quality of the breast tissue, the space between the breasts etc.  More information is needed to give you an honest opinion.  Your surgeon is best at addressing your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.toddbkochmd.com

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants

+1

For most women, high profile implants are not necessary. In choosing the correct size, we do consider your chest width and base of your breast. The high profile implants do have a more narrow base. However, the higher the implant, the more pressure it may exert on your tissue, and long term thin your own tissue. This is best discussed on an individual basis with your plastic surgeon.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon