When preforming a Breast Reduction is the existing nipple the best point of reference when locating the Breast Meridian?

If my nipples aren't in the middle of my breast to start with, would my nipples be the best point of reference when locating the breast meridian? Would the Mid clavicular line be a better point of reference for locating the central axis if the nipples aren't in the middle of the original breast?

Final nipple position is determined after the breast mound is created

+2
Women who need breast reduction often have the nipples displaced and the position is irrelevant in determining the final resting position of the nipple. Frequently the nipple is too low and medial because the breast tissue protrudes inferiorly and laterally. When performing a breast reduction, the internal cone produces the mound and the nipple is delivered through the mound at the anterior projected point of the breast. Position of the breast mound determines the final nipple position.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Positioning the Nipple on the Breast

+2
In most cases the nipple lies on the breast meridian, but not always. That meridian is an oblique line running down the center of the breast. If your nipple does not lie on the meridian, a good surgeon will correct that during the reduction.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post op nipple location

+2
When marking the patient for a breast reduction the ultimate nipple location is paramount in our plan.  The height of the nipple is best determined by the level of the fold beneath your breast.  The medial lateral location depends more on your preop location.Mid clavicular line can be helpful.  In many cases we can move it more medial or lateral depending on your anatomy.  Be sure to bring this up with your surgeon as the markings are being done.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

+2
Thank you for your very interesting question.  This sounds like a question that a plastic surgeon would pose to another, it is very technical.  However, if the nipple/areola complex is off to the side like a lot of breasts I have seen, then yes the mid-clavicular to mid-inframammary fold line is a better point of reference for placement of the new location of the nipple areola complex.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS