When Does Pollybeak from Scar Tissue or Fluid Start Forming?

I am 6 weeks post op and seem to be healing okay. I had pretty bad supratip swelling the first 2 weeks which looked like a bad pollybeak. That thankfully went down. When am i likely clear from pollybeak? Also there is still some swelling or it could be loose skin on the supratip I can press down. My doctor said it usually starts forming in the first two months so I should be good. Also I didn't have a major reduction which I hope reduces my risk, however my skin in on the thicker side.

Rhinoplasty healing time

+2

Dear swollen99,

1. It sounds like the swelling is coming down appropriately and continues to improve
  2. If you can press it down and it looks better, that is also a good sign
  3. Just keep up with regular visits to your surgeon for optimum results

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Web reference: http://www.eosplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.htm

Pollybeak Supratip Scar After Rhinoplasty

+2

It sounds like you are healing on track.  Pollybeak can come from inadequate reduction of the cartilagenous dorsum above the tip, or from excessive reduction with a poorly contracting skin and soft tissue envelope. It sounds like you are worried about the second reason, but if you have already seen a lot of improvement since your initial postoperative swelling you are probably on the right track for adequate healing.  Of course only your surgeon, who can actually examine you, can know this for sure.  Contraction of the "loose skin" can take as long as 3 or 4 months.  Hope that helps.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This early after rhinoplasty, it is premature to be concerned about the final result.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php