When Should Numbing from Topical Cream Dissipate?

It's been 4 and a half hours since I had juvederm injections in my lips for the first time. The doctor didn't do a dental block and only used numbing cream on my lips and around my mouth. My lips are beginning to regain some sensitivity by I am still numb around my mouth. Is this normal?

+2

The topical cream last an hour to several hours however Juvederm does come with Lidocaine mixed in which is a local anesthetic as well.  This may be why your lips are still numb.  

The effect of numbing creams for filler injections lasts for several hours

+2

The effect of numbing creams for filler injections lasts for several hours (on average four, based on my experience). It is an important part of the treatment, as choosing a good strong topical anesthetic cream will ensure a more pleasant experience for the patient.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Numb lips after Juvederm

+1

Juvederm now comes pre-mixed with lidocaine so the numbness you are experiencing is most likely due to this rather than to the topical cream. If it persists, please call your injecting physician right away.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Numb lips

+1

As this question was asked two days ago, I assume that you are back to normal. If not, visit your doctor ASAP. The cream 's effect should wear off within a few hours but different formulas do vary. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Numbness of topical

+1

Some topicla creams have longer acting products in them which may cause numbness for several hours. If concerned you should talk with your doctor.