When Will my Rhinoplasty Swelling Actually Go Down?

Hi, my name is Maria and I'm 17 years old. It's day 13 post rhinoplasty and my cast was removed yesterday (day 12). As expected, my nose has increased swelling, particularly in the tip, but I am in no way concerned as I am aware of the healing process. I am more interested in knowing when majority of the swelling with subside (to the point where swelling isn't noticeable). My doctor said 2 months but I have seen others say 4 months, 6 months, etc. Can this be cleared up?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling may be influenced by the following: Whether the procedure was open or closed, whether the procedure was a revision, the thickness of the patient's skin, and whether or not tip work was performed. Although the majority of swelling will be resolved, the final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Your surgeon should be able to answer any post-operative questions you have, as they know the details of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

When Will My Rhinoplasty Swelling Go Down?

+2

Hi Maria.  Congrats on having Rhinoplasty Surgery!  Each patients heals at a different rate, so in general it can take months for all the swelling to subside.  Usually the swelling is only noticed by the patient, and not to others.  It is very important to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon, as he is the best person to monitor your healing, and guide you to a complete recovery.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

Swelling of rhinoplasty usually complete approximately six to eight months, but still significant portion of the swelling will result in the first four to six weeks.  The final result is 6-8 months.  For that reason, most of the plastic surgeons will not do any revisions before 6-8 months.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is dependent upon a multitude of factors.   Your surgeon will see hundreds of patients, and he or she will know what is to be expected for his or her patients. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA