When will my nose swelling go down? When will it look skinny back? Will the chin forever feel rough and ruin my smile?

I had rhinoplasty to remove a hump on the nose,straighten it out, and pick up the dip a little bit because it was hanging down. He also did a chin implant on me because he said I had a weak chin, I thought my chin was pretty but i hesitantly agreed to it. I am now 15 days post op & my nose is huge & more swollen on one side, my eyes look different & I have huge bags under my eyes. My nose is way fatter than it was & worst of all,my smile changed. The chin implant is hard & ruins my smile.

When will my nose swelling go down?

Post-operative swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. There is also swelling from the chin implant which will need time to resolve. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions in the meantime, as they know the details of your procedure. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Swollen nose and thick skin

It is very early in your recovery and it is normal for your nose and chin to feel swollen. It is also common for your smile to feel stiff after a rhinoplasty. All of this is within the normal post-operative course. Be patient, it will get better.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

6705 Red Road
Coral Gables, FL 33143

15 days after rhinoplasty and chin implant

Please don't judge your result right now. Having a rhinoplasty and a chin implant is a lot of surgery in a small area of your face. This combination of procedures is commonly done and makes sense but during the first few weeks patients often experience what you are going through. The swelling and changed smile are probably temporary. I would make your concerns known to your surgeon. I'm sure he or she would be happy to discuss the recovery period with you.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

77 Pond Avenue
Brookline, MA 02445