When Will I Know What my Nose is Going to Look Like?

I had rhinoplasty done 9 weeks ago and I feel like my nostrils are too big. They look like they are flaring. Is it swelling? Or is this the final result of my nose? I had a droopy tip fixed and also septoplasty.

When will I know what my nose is going to look like?

+1

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of a rhinoplasty. The nose will continue to change and improve over time. The swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether tip work was performed, whether the procedure was open or closed, and whether or not the procedure was a revision. It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it can take some time.  In the meantime, I would recommend communicating any post-operative concerns with your surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.spaldingplasticsurgery.com/face/rhinoplasty/

Long-Term Nasal Appearance After Rhinoplasty

+1

The key element in a rhinoplasty is that one has to set up patient expectations pre-operatively. It will take up to a year to see the final result due to swelling and normal wound healing.

9 Weeks after Septorhinoplasty

+1

There will be swelling still present and the look of the nose will change in the next few months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Nostril size following rhinoplasty

+1

At nine weeks following surgery there is still swelling present in your nose.  Usually this does not have a dramatic effect on the appearance of your nostrils so I think a visit with your surgeon to examine this concern is advisable.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final appearance post rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the exact nature of your surgery, it may take 6  - 12 months for the final result to be reached.  That being said, the width of your nostrils likely will not change.  If the tip was narrowed or deprojected during surgery, it can make the nostrils appear wider than they were before surgery.  This is usually an easy fix.  Talk to your surgeon.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Change in nostril shape after a rhinoplasty

+1

At nine weeks you are very early in the healing process. If your tip projection was changed or shortened it is possible that you could have a change in the shape and flare of your nostrils.  Give it more time and the problem may just correct itself.  If you have concerns then contact your plastic surgeon for advice.  

Know what your nose will look like

+1

With proper planning and the use of computer simulation most should have a very good idea of what their nose will look like after rhinoplasty. It certainly beats the wait and see approach.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Nostril Flaring After Rhinoplasty

+1

If you did not have your nostrils narrowed at the time of your rhinoplasty, what you are seeing is the final nostril shape by now. Sometimes when the nasal tip is narrowed, the nostrils can then suddenly look too big afterwards. The good news is that this is a simple fix done under local anesthesia if you decide that they really are too wide or flared now.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/nasal.html

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year to see the final look.

+1

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year to see the final look. Be patient knowing that the nose will change over that time.