4 Weeks post op. When will my Labiaplasty swelling go down?

I had labiaplasty almost 4 weeks ago. It only looks slightly better than before i had the surgery. Will the swelling go down more and will it look different in another month or so?

Persistent swelling after labioplasty

+1
Swelling after labiaplasty can last for 2-3 months.  So it is not unusual that you are still noticing some swelling.  I would recommend frequent follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure that there are no other issues that are creating the swelling.  Otherwise it is important to be patient.

Labiaplasty swelling

+1
Swelling after a labiaplasty can be persistent for a few months.  You have to be patient and allow the area to heal before getting too worried. If you have concerns, you should ask your surgeon.

Swelling after 4 weeks

+1
Usually, about 80% of the swelling is gone at 6 weeks.  At that time, you should get a reasonable idea of your result.  If you are dissatisfied after about 4 months, then a revision should be considered after 5-6 months.  You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction.  You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty surgery in Los Angeles and Santa Monica

+1
Our office specializes in labiaplasty surgery and labiaplasty revision surgery. Swelling is a normal part of recovery and may take weeks to months. Follow up with your surgeon frequently to rule out any other reasons for persistent swelling.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS